The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Resuming Play Question... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16372-resuming-play-question.html)

JohnBark Tue Nov 09, 2004 08:22pm

A calls TO. After TO is over, A is ready to inbound the ball. I whistle for B to come out to start play. What's the procedure if B doesn't come out and I'm ready to hand the ball to A for a Throw In. Is it a delay warning once I put the ball at the disposal of A? Or is it a delay warning after A inbounds the ball?

Thanks, I'm a little confused on the team that's not inbounding the ball.

MOFFICIAL Tue Nov 09, 2004 08:48pm

I pregame this with my partner. My procedure is :
After the second horn and team A is ready I count to myself thousand one-thousand two blow my whistle and give the ball to Team A to throw in. It will only happen once.
Note if Team B is breaking after second horn I yell at them to hustle up.

BktBallRef Tue Nov 09, 2004 09:11pm

In NC, we use something similiar.

After the second horn, the administering official blows his whistle, mentally counts two seconds, and whistles again. If the thrower isn't there, he places the ball on the floor and begins the 5 second count. If the defense isn't there, he hands the ball to the thrower. If the team is running onto the floor, prior to the second whistle, he'll hold the whistle.

There is no delay of game warning. That's what the RPP is all about.

rainmaker Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:49am

John -- here's a small advertisement, which you can skip if you want -- There are a couple of very entertaining, educational** and evocative articles on the subscription web-zine part of this site regarding the Resuming Play Procedure. There will also be another one soon about the RPP, and the various delay warnings and immediate T's and when to use which. (Note to Tomegun: I'm not buttering up anyone, I'm bragging about myself!)

If you haven't seen them, or don't want a subscription, here's the summary -- use the RPP after a time-out. In the RPP there are no warnings. You simply proceed with the game as possible until a violation, then if the delay continues, issue a technical. So if A is ready to go, GO! B will learn their lesson and as MOfficial says, it will only happen once.

**The truth in advertising laws compel me to admit that one of the RPP articles contains a huge mistake, but there is a correction which was printed about 10 days later.

Jurassic Referee Wed Nov 10, 2004 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker

If you haven't seen them, or don't want a subscription, here's the summary -- use the RPP after a time-out.

What procedure do you use after any intermission- as in half-time, etc.?

Back In The Saddle Wed Nov 10, 2004 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

If you haven't seen them, or don't want a subscription, here's the summary -- use the RPP after a time-out.

The larger of the two officials (or of the three, in three-whistle) will go into the huddle, and begin dragging the five players out by the waistband on the back of their shorts. Once all five are on the floor, they have five seconds to remove the wedgies and throw the ball in :D

zebraman Wed Nov 10, 2004 04:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
The larger of the two officials (or of the three, in three-whistle) will go into the huddle, and begin dragging the five players out by the waistband on the back of their shorts. Once all five are on the floor, they have five seconds to remove the wedgies and throw the ball in :D
LOL. I'm glad I'm not usually the largest official.:D

Z

rainmaker Wed Nov 10, 2004 04:37pm

Quote:

Quote:

The answer between quarters is the Resuming Play Procedure, but not at half-time. 10-1-5a says, "A team shall not: ...Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest. This includes the following and similar acts:

When the clock is not running consuming a full minute through not being ready when it is time to start either half."

I don't know what the procedure is before an extra period.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 10, 2004 05:03pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The answer between quarters is the Resuming Play Procedure, but not at half-time. 10-1-5a says, "A team shall not: ...Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest. This includes the following and similar acts:

When the clock is not running consuming a full minute through not being ready when it is time to start either half."

Half-time and the time berfore an extra period are all "intermissions". Use the RPP if the team(s) are huddled by the bench.

10-1-5a is used if the team isn't on (near) the court -- usually, this means still in the locker room. Here, you start the timer and if it gets to 1-minute, you'll have a T. Only one T, regardless if the delay is 1 minute, 5 minute, 10 minutes, ...

rainmaker Wed Nov 10, 2004 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Half-time and the time berfore an extra period are all "intermissions". Use the RPP if the team(s) are huddled by the bench.

10-1-5a is used if the team isn't on (near) the court -- usually, this means still in the locker room. Here, you start the timer and if it gets to 1-minute, you'll have a T. Only one T, regardless if the delay is 1 minute, 5 minute, 10 minutes, ...

That's the way I remember it, but I can't find anything written that confirms that.

Jurassic Referee Wed Nov 10, 2004 06:04pm

Quote:

Quote:

[/B]
That's the way I remember it, but I can't find anything written that confirms that. [/B][/QUOTE]R7-5-1 says that you use the RPP for the intermission between any quarter. That includes the 2nd and 3rd quarters naturally. Intermissions are then covered in R5-5-1. That includes the <i>halftime intermission</i> also.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 10, 2004 06:08pm

Quote:

That's the way I remember it, but I can't find anything written that confirms that.

The fact that half-time is an intermission is in 5-5-1.

The fact that the time before an extra period is an intermission is in 5-7-1.

The fact that you charge a T if the team is not on the court is 10.1.9 COMMENT.

If you put this in your article, I want recognition. ;)

rainmaker Wed Nov 10, 2004 07:25pm

Quote:

Quote:

The fact that half-time is an intermission is in 5-5-1.

The fact that the time before an extra period is an intermission is in 5-7-1.

The fact that you charge a T if the team is not on the court is 10.1.9 COMMENT.

If you put this in your article, I want recognition. ;)

Thanks, Bob. I'll give you recognition. It's the thing about the books that's so frustrating -- you've got to piece together a whole bunch of disparate stuff to come up with a complete picture. I knew I'd seen all that somewhere but couldn't find it. Why can't it be better organized?! And why is that COMMENT in that section, instead of 10.1.5 where half-time is specifically mentioned?

But how does one conduct the RPP before an extra period, since it's a jump ball, not a throw-in or free throw? Does one toss the ball with only one jumper, then call the violation, and then if necessary a T?

BktBallRef Wed Nov 10, 2004 09:13pm

Quote:

And why is that COMMENT in that section, instead of 10.1.5 where half-time is specifically mentioned?

10-1-9
Fail to have all players return to the court at approximately the same time following a time-out or intermission.

SITUATION: Following a charged time-out Team B is still with their coach on the sideline when the official sounds the whistle to indicate play will resume. Four players of B return to the court just in time to play defense as A1 attempts an unsuccessful three-pointer. B1 rebounds and throws a long pass to B5 who enters the court just in time to catch the pass.

RULING: A technical foul is immediately charged to Team B for failing to have all players return to the court at approximately the same time following a time-out or intermission. While it is true the entire team may be off the court while the procedure is being used, once a team responds, all players must enter the court at approximately the same time.

COMMENT: The resumption-of-play procedure is in effect to start the second half unless either team is not on the court. In that case regular delay provisions are in force.

Seems appropriate to me. ;)

rainmaker Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:14am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

And why is that COMMENT in that section, instead of 10.1.5 where half-time is specifically mentioned?

10-1-9
Fail to have all players return to the court at approximately the same time following a time-out or intermission.

SITUATION: Following a charged time-out Team B is still with their coach on the sideline when the official sounds the whistle to indicate play will resume. Four players of B return to the court just in time to play defense as A1 attempts an unsuccessful three-pointer. B1 rebounds and throws a long pass to B5 who enters the court just in time to catch the pass.

RULING: A technical foul is immediately charged to Team B for failing to have all players return to the court at approximately the same time following a time-out or intermission. While it is true the entire team may be off the court while the procedure is being used, once a team responds, all players must enter the court at approximately the same time.

COMMENT: The resumption-of-play procedure is in effect to start the second half unless either team is not on the court. In that case regular delay provisions are in force.

Seems appropriate to me. ;)

It appears to me that having all the players return to the court at approximately the same time, and having all the players in the locker room at half-time are two entirely different animals. I won't get personal, but I sure don't follow the logic here. Maybe it's a Venus/Mars thing? Or are you being sarcastic when you say it seems appropriate? I don't get it.