The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

This rule change actually comes from the media timeout rule change - whereby at the first whistle under 16, 12, 8, and 4, you go to timeout first, then come back and shoot the free throw(s).

In women's rules, all subs can then go in (seeing it is a substitution opportunity) for men, however, substitutes still have to wait until immediately before the last free throw (or after the last FT, if it is converted).

My question then becomes, if there is a media timeout followed by 2 free throws, and a substitute comes to the table after the 15 second warning horn, can he go into the game after the first free throw, or does he have to wait for the next legal substitution opportunity after the FT's?
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Let him in before the final FT.
Old Sat Nov 13, 2004, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Chuck (or any other NCAA'ers):

I came across this new interp on the NCAA website today, and I'm not quite sure what to make of it:

As stated in the rules book, Rule 3-4.3 and Rule 3-4.10 are in conflict with each other. The intent of Rule 3-4.10 was to eliminate the delay associated with substituting during multiple free throws. Since substitutions during a timeout, but before the warning signal, do not contribute to any delay, Rule 3-4.3 shall be the prevailing rule.

Does this mean subs must be in before the warning horn? Or just that they're also allowed during the TO, but can still come in at the appropriate times during free throws?
Old Sun Nov 14, 2004, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Chuck (or any other NCAA'ers):

I came across this new interp on the NCAA website today, and I'm not quite sure what to make of it:

As stated in the rules book, Rule 3-4.3 and Rule 3-4.10 are in conflict with each other. The intent of Rule 3-4.10 was to eliminate the delay associated with substituting during multiple free throws. Since substitutions during a timeout, but before the warning signal, do not contribute to any delay, Rule 3-4.3 shall be the prevailing rule.

Does this mean subs must be in before the warning horn? Or just that they're also allowed during the TO, but can still come in at the appropriate times during free throws?
It means that if there's a TO before the first of two FTs, that subs who report before teh warning horn can enter (3-4.3) instead of having to wait until after the frist FT (3-4.10)