The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Moving picks? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16347-moving-picks.html)

bballplayer Mon Nov 08, 2004 04:15pm

If the offensive player is about to set a frontal pick for the
ball handler and is moving into the on-the-ball defender, the
ball handler moves and activates the on-the-ball defender to
move forward into the player that is going to set the pick.
Would this be called a moving pick? Or is this motion offense
incidental contact? How should this be called?

Thanks for any input,
Bballplayer

bob jenkins Mon Nov 08, 2004 04:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bballplayer
If the offensive player is about to set a frontal pick for the
ball handler and is moving into the on-the-ball defender, the
ball handler moves and activates the on-the-ball defender to
move forward into the player that is going to set the pick.
Would this be called a moving pick? Or is this motion offense
incidental contact? How should this be called?

Thanks for any input,
Bballplayer

The player setting the screen must be stationary, or moving in the same path and direction as the person being screened.

If there's contact, and if the contact hinders the defensive player from normal movements, then a foul should be called.

bballplayer Mon Nov 08, 2004 04:34pm

So, the offensive player wouldn't be able to set a frontal
pick, because the defensive player could move forward while
the pick is being set and get a foul called on offensive
player everytime.

Bballplayer.

Kelvin green Mon Nov 08, 2004 04:48pm

Frontal pick?

Doesnot matter which way the screener is facing.
I am not sure what you are even asking but reread your screening principles.

- As Bob mentioned screen must be stationary. cannot be moving into path of defender (or closing the distance)

-Offesne always sets picks to fron, they get set and give appropriate time and distance. Once that happens responsibility for contact is on D

Robmoz Mon Nov 08, 2004 05:30pm

I love these types of questions from players...NOT.

Albeit a pet peeve of mine, is when someone chimes in and attempts to get a bet settled or a clarification for some rules dispute. Many times they are arguably clueless about the rules of the game, do not understand the nomenclature, and probably will never offer a contribution back to the Forum.

BBallPlayer you might have a better chance to get your question answered by getting a copy of the rule book and reading it. Based on the amount of responses to your inquiry, not too many officials are going to respond. This is not due to some type of snobbery on our part but the Forum is basically geared towards officials, hence the name. Perhaps if you are interested in becoming an official and are seriously attempting to learn your trade, you could share that with everybody. Until then, keep reading.

bob jenkins Tue Nov 09, 2004 09:27am

Quote:

So, the offensive player wouldn't be able to set a frontal
pick, because the defensive player could move forward while
the pick is being set and get a foul called on offensive
player everytime.

Bballplayer.

When screening a stationary opponent from the front or side, the screener may be anywhere short of contact.

When screening a moving opponent, then screener must allow the opponent time and distance to avoid contact. The distance need not be more than two strides.

BktBallRef Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:14am

Quote:

Originally posted by Robmoz
I love these types of questions from players...NOT.

Albeit a pet peeve of mine, is when someone chimes in and attempts to get a bet settled or a clarification for some rules dispute. Many times they are arguably clueless about the rules of the game, do not understand the nomenclature, and probably will never offer a contribution back to the Forum.

BBallPlayer you might have a better chance to get your question answered by getting a copy of the rule book and reading it. Based on the amount of responses to your inquiry, not too many officials are going to respond. This is not due to some type of snobbery on our part but the Forum is basically geared towards officials, hence the name. Perhaps if you are interested in becoming an official and are seriously attempting to learn your trade, you could share that with everybody. Until then, keep reading.

I disagree. Posters with legitimate questions are always welcome. You don't have to own a rule book or be an offiical to ask a legit question here.

BktBallRef Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:18am

Quote:

So, the offensive player wouldn't be able to set a frontal pick, because the defensive player could move forward while the pick is being set and get a foul called on offensive player everytime.
The screener must be stationary. It's up to the dribbler to use the screener by moving close enough to him that his defender is screened. If you as the screener moves into the defender, you going to pickup a foul for an illegal screen.

A moving screen is when the screener and the defender are both moving in the same direction. That's legal.

It's never legal for the screener to move toward the defender and create contact.

bballplayer Tue Nov 09, 2004 04:18pm

Thanks for all the responses,
the good and the bad.

I really appreciate it. I think I understand now. It
is nice to hear the responses from the experts. I will stop
moving once I believe there is going to be contact, while
trying to set a screen, or pick.

Bballplayer

ysong Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

So, the offensive player wouldn't be able to set a frontal pick, because the defensive player could move forward while the pick is being set and get a foul called on offensive player everytime.
The screener must be stationary. It's up to the dribbler to use the screener by moving close enough to him that his defender is screened. If you as the screener moves into the defender, you going to pickup a foul for an illegal screen.

A moving screen is when the screener and the defender are both moving in the same direction. That's legal.

It's never legal for the screener to move toward the defender and create contact.

According to NCAA rule 10-20-Art. 4. "No player shall set a screen while moving.", it seems to me that moving screen is NOT legal. is this right?

Thanks.

zebraman Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ysong
According to NCAA rule 10-20-Art. 4. "No player shall set a screen while moving.", it seems to me that moving screen is NOT legal. is this right?
Thanks.
<b>
NFHS rule 4-39-2c

To establish a legal screening position, the screener must be stationary, except when both are moving in the same path and the same direction.
</b>
Z

rainmaker Thu Nov 11, 2004 02:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:

Originally posted by ysong
Thanks.
<b>
NFHS rule 4-39-2c

To establish a legal screening position, the screener must be stationary, except when both are moving in the same path and the same direction.
</b>
Z

It's only illegal if there's contact. If the screener moves, and the screen-ee goes around, and there's no contact, there's no foul.