The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Long Passes Foul Question? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16346-long-passes-foul-question.html)

bballplayer Mon Nov 08, 2004 04:07pm

A long pass is made from one baseline. The intended receiver
is covered by an opposing player. The intended receiver is
facing the closer sideline and the pass is made to the
outside. The defender is the inside. The intended receiver
backpedals a step and steps on the opposing players foot. The
opposing player is back pedalling. There is no body contact,
but the intended receiver falls. Is there a foul? I was
playing in a friendly game and am wondering about the rules.
He claims I was underneath him but neither of us was jumping.
He stepped on my foot. He did not land on my foot. Some rule
clarification would be great.

bballplayer

Robmoz Mon Nov 08, 2004 05:25pm

I love these types of questions from players...NOT.

Albeit a pet peeve of mine, is when someone chimes in and attempts to get a bet settled or a clarification for some rules dispute. Many times they are arguably clueless about the rules of the game, do not understand the nomenclature, and probably will never offer a contribution back to the Forum.

BBallPlayer you might have a better chance to get your question answered by getting a copy of the rule book and reading it. Based on the amount of responses to your inquiry, not too many officials are going to respond. This is not due to some type of snobbery on our part but the Forum is basically geared towards officials, hence the name. Perhaps if you are interested in becoming an official and are seriously attempting to learn your trade, you could share that with everybody. Until then, keep reading.

JRutledge Mon Nov 08, 2004 05:44pm

bballplayer,

It sounds like you just fell over each other. But as stated, you probably need to pick up a rulebook on this one, because it is kind of hard to tell you what happen without seeing the play. One thing you cannot do is listen to someone in a pick up game what is or is not a foul.

Peace

rainmaker Mon Nov 08, 2004 05:51pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Robmoz
I love these types of questions from players...NOT.

Albeit a pet peeve of mine, is when someone chimes in and attempts to get a bet settled or a clarification for some rules dispute. Many times they are arguably clueless about the rules of the game, do not understand the nomenclature, and probably will never offer a contribution back to the Forum.

BBallPlayer you might have a better chance to get your question answered by getting a copy of the rule book and reading it. Based on the amount of responses to your inquiry, not too many officials are going to respond. This is not due to some type of snobbery on our part but the Forum is basically geared towards officials, hence the name. Perhaps if you are interested in becoming an official and are seriously attempting to learn your trade, you could share that with everybody. Until then, keep reading.

Bballplayer -- Rob is feeling a little crotchety today. We're not always this unwelcoming to players who ask questions politely. Just don't lose your head and dis agree with us. THen, you'll be in real trouble!

In your situation, I'd never call a foul on the person whose foot was stepped on (I think that means you?) if the play went as you describe it. If someone on defense who is behind a moving player moves into their path, then it would be block on the defender, even though he's behind. Well, usually. Lots of variables here, but if it's only as you describe with no adjustments necessary, then I'm with JRutledge and will probably no-call it.

bballplayer Tue Nov 09, 2004 04:24pm

Thanks for Reply Rainmaker,

I agree with you that in certain situations when the
defensively player is making an aggressive and dangerous
move might be called for the foul. I think I know how to
call this one. No body contact should in most cases mean
that it was unlucky step by the offensive player.

Bballplayer