The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Ok here ya go, I think I know the answer just need confirmation LOL... A1 shoots a 2 pt try, B1 fouls A1, and B2 commits basket interference....how many free throws are we shooting? I say the ball is dead when BI occurs, award the basket due to BI and shoot 2?? what say you all LOL
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Ok here ya go, I think I know the answer just need confirmation LOL... A1 shoots a 2 pt try, B1 fouls A1, and B2 commits basket interference....how many free throws are we shooting? I say the ball is dead when BI occurs, award the basket due to BI and shoot 2?? what say you all LOL
Ball's not dead until the try ends. Try ends when BI occurs. Count the basket, shoot 1.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

You only shoot 1 foul shot if the try is successful. The try is not successful here because the try ends when BI occurs. 2pts are awarded, and since there is a foul on an unsuccessful try we should shoot 2?? This is my reasoning...am open to discussion on the issue however.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Stop thinking too hard

This is a foul on the shooter on a made (awarded) basket.
The goal was sucessful. You rule the wya youre thinking you'll get killed.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 04:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
You only shoot 1 foul shot if the try is successful. The try is not successful here because the try ends when BI occurs. 2pts are awarded, and since there is a foul on an unsuccessful try we should shoot 2?? This is my reasoning...am open to discussion on the issue however.
Nope, the try is successful because you awarded the basket and made it successful. One shot only on an awarded basket or made basket.

Case book play 9.0COMMENT has a good explanation of BI at the opponent's basket-"The penalty is the awarding of one, two or three points and SUBSEQUENT PROCEDURE IS THE SAME AS AFTER A SUCCESSFUL GOAL..".

A possible 4-point play on a normal personal foul on a shooter that makes the basket? If it was BI on a 3-point try, would you give them a possible 5-point play too?

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Nov 8th, 2004 at 04:52 PM]
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

I just read through rule 9 again and found that statement as well...and JR you would if the foul was intentional or flagrant LOL....thanks guys, and not thinking too hard, it came from the test..and it sounds similar enough to the false double foul with the airborn shooter that I wondered about it....