The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

I was reffering a game that was starting to tense. I won't get into details, but after the call went agianst the losing team, a player from that team swore at me in reference to that call. I immeditaly called a "T" and ejected him from the gym. Was that the right thing to do?

Thanks in Advance
Joey
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

It is unsporting call with a T but no ejection. At least that is what I would have done.

Also when things get "chippy" call a tighter game to get it back under control.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

What type of game?

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeyMac323
I was reffering a game that was starting to tense. I won't get into details, but after the call went agianst the losing team, a player from that team swore at me in reference to that call. I immeditaly called a "T" and ejected him from the gym. Was that the right thing to do?

Thanks in Advance
Joey
The "T" was correct. Ejection probably not. No ejection for first "T" in NFHS rules.

Some recreational leagues however, do have a no swearing policy and perhaps the initial swearing is grounds for ejection in that particular league.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Re: What type of game?

Quote:
[i]
The "T" was correct. Ejection probably not. No ejection for first "T" in NFHS rules.

[/B]
If the need is there, you can eject on the first T. It is just classified as a flagarent T. However, if this was a youth game, don't eject the player "from the gym". They have to remain on the bench supervised. If they leave the bench area, they must have adult supervision that is associated with the school.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 04:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

I would have done exactly the same as you did. If they swear out loud so that it can be heard in the stands--> "T". If they swear AT me or my partner(s)--> flagrant "T" with no warning. I refuse to put up with that crap, and imo you're not doing your fellow officials any good either if you let ballplayers or coaches get away with swearing at you or your partner(s).

Welcome to the forum, Joey.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 04:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

I would have done exactly the same as you did. If they swear out loud so that it can be heard in the stands--> "T". If they swear AT me or my partner(s)--> flagrant "T" with no warning. I refuse to put up with that crap, and imo you're not doing your fellow officials any good either if you let ballplayers or coaches get away with swearing at you or your partner(s).

Welcome to the forum, Joey.
I agree with you. Nobody gets a freebie when it comes to swearing AT me.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

This game was a CYO Boys 8th grade A team game, and I never take anything other people do on the court personal. In this case I thought this happened to be the appropriate solution.

Joey

[Edited by JoeyMac323 on Nov 8th, 2004 at 06:48 PM]
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
This game was a CYO Boys 8th grade A team game, and I never take anything other people do on the court personal. In this case I thought this happened to be the appropriate solution.

Joey

[Edited by JoeyMac323 on Nov 8th, 2004 at 06:48 PM]

Take the little twit by the hand, walk him to the bench & say

"Here ya go coach, he's now your problem."

Good call.