The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I need to get a new pair of shoes. I have been officiating basketball games for 6 years, and I now work primarily a high school varsity schedule. My question primarily relates to patent leather shoes. I want to look my best, but patent leather shoes to me look unnecessarily "showy" and I have not seen many officials in our area wearing them. If these are the shoes that top officials are wearing, however, I want to follow that lead regardless of my personal preference.

Do any of you have advice for me? Follow my own preferences? Wear what others in my area are wearing? Take the lead/plunge and wear what the best officials wear?

In advance, thanks for your thoughts.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

As long as the shoes are clean / shined, no one has been hired or not hired based on the kind of shoes s/he wears.

Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 12:46pm
Huck Finn

You will get a mixed reaction to your question. I don't know any guys that I can think of that are "top level" that wear patent leather. It is personal preference and I wouldn't wear them. Someone else might say they are great and they feel great. Since everyone's feet and opinions are different you will get different answers. Wear what works for you and God bless the person(s) that got us away from wearing Runnin Refs!
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

I've worn patent leather shoes for 3 years now in Wisconsin. However, be sure your partners do too! Otherwise, you will stand out among your colleagues. Folks will notice....but many of the players are wearing patent leather shoes as well.

My first pair of Patent Leathers I purchased were the Converse "Running Ref" model, (still have and rotate)...but have switched to the brand that The Officials Choice manufactures and sells online.
http://www.theofficialschoice.com

I've worn them through AAU ball this summer and found them really comfortable. My two other partners purchased them as well and like them too! They are a bit pricy ($75) compared to other models....but, consider your feet as what keeps us going! Make your decision based on works best for you!

When we catch some comments about our shoes....we just say "we have a wedding to go to after the game."

Good luck....enjoy your season!

wl

[Edited by imaref on Nov 5th, 2004 at 02:55 PM]
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

tomegun is right, you will get mixed answers. In my area, almost all of the "top level" refs wear the patent leather shoes. As long as the shoes are black and clean, I have not heard of even the most minutia-esque assignor who bases decisions based on patent or non-patent.

I have both patent leather and regular leather. I have never worried about whether or not my shoes matched my partner. I don't notice. The only time I ever notice my shoes is when a high school player will occasionally say, "those shoes are way cool" when I'm wearing my patent ones. Minutia I say!

Z

[Edited by zebraman on Nov 5th, 2004 at 12:54 PM]
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

I have the Reebox Ref Patent Leather. Just got them, have worn them for 4 games and they are great. Guys I have worked with have seen them and will be getting them as well. If you have them and your partner don't so be it! Let them shine and shine their shoes to try and get that shine that your shoes have!

$65 At Honigs
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 02:09pm
Huck Finn

I knew this would happen. If someone asks me about patent leather I tell them I don't like the way they look and I don't know anyone "big time" with them.

$75 or $150 take care of your feet. Would I buy a pair of comfortable shoes for $150? In a second! I wear inserts and I can tell anyone it isn't worth it to be cheap. I wish I could go back in time and spend more on shoes growing up so my feet wouldn't hurt now. Stretch and get something comfortable above the cost. If I could pay $5000 to have perfect foot comfort it would be a no-brainer.