The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Red face

During a jumpball,is it permissible for a player(s) to move off the circle (not to another position on the circle) while the toss is in the air, but before tapped by either jumper?
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 08:09am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ggeled
During a jumpball,is it permissible for a player(s) to move off the circle (not to another position on the circle) while the toss is in the air, but before tapped by either jumper?
Yes.

It is also permissible for a non-jumper to move off of the circle before the ball is tossed for the jump. It is also permissible to move to another position around the circle during a jumpball, before it is tapped by a jumper, as long as you don't move into an occupied space.

Welcome to the Forum.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Don't start the jump ball

If someone other than the Jumpers are in or on the restraining circle, then I would not administer the jump ball until the player is outside the circle. The jumpers are not allowed to leave the circle until the ball is touched.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Don't start the jump ball

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
If someone other than the Jumpers are in or on the restraining circle, then I would not administer the jump ball until the player is outside the circle.
"On the circle" is shorthand for "in an occupied space around the jump circle". JR was not saying that a player may be on the line of the jump circle.

I agree with what you said. I just didn't want there to be a misunderstanding about what JR said.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Yes.

It is also permissible for a non-jumper to move off of the circle before the ball is tossed for the jump. It is also permissible to move to another position around the circle during a jumpball, before it is tapped by a jumper, as long as you don't move into an occupied space.

Welcome to the Forum.
By the circle we do mean the restrainging circle correct? The only two players allowed in or on the restraining circle are the jumpers, correct? If so, then there should not be anyone to move off of the restraining circle. If the jumpers move off, it is a violation, per rule 6-3-7b.

Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 08:31am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Don't start the jump ball

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
If someone other than the Jumpers are in or on the restraining circle, then I would not administer the jump ball until the player is outside the circle.
"On the circle" is shorthand for "in an occupied space around the jump circle". JR was not saying that a player may be on the line of the jump circle.

I agree with what you said. I just didn't want there to be a misunderstanding about what JR said.
As Chuck said, I was using the same language that the rule book uses.

Case book play 6.3.2-- "The referee is ready to toss the ball to start the game. A1 who was on the center restraining circle backs off; RULING: Legal. Moving off of the restraining circle...is permissible".
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Don't start the jump ball

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, that helps! I was writing my previous reply when you had submitted this one. Otherwise, I might not have asked JR the questions I did.

Randall
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Don't start the jump ball

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As Chuck said, I was using the same language that the rule book uses.

Case book play 6.3.2-- "The referee is ready to toss the ball to start the game. A1 who was on the center restraining circle backs off; RULING: Legal. Moving off of the restraining circle...is permissible".
I think the rule book is confusing. When I hear circle I'm thinking of the restraining circle. But what I believe you are referring to is the 3 feet area around the restraining circle. Is that correct? The rule book should be more specific, IMO.

Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 08:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes.

Welcome to the Forum.
By the circle we do mean the restrainging circle correct? The only two players allowed in or on the restraining circle are the jumpers, correct? If so, then there should not be anyone to move off of the restraining circle. If the jumpers move off, it is a violation, per rule 6-3-7b.

See answer above. "On the circle" is common rule book language for being in a legal occupied space around the circle. The jumpers are "in the circle" and are the only ones allowed in there until the jump ball is touched by a jumper.

Confusing? Gee, what makes you say that? You can legally be "ON the circle" if you're IN one of the 3' deep spots around the 2" wide restraining circle line line, but if you step ON the 2" wide restraining circle line before the jump ball is tapped, you've committed a violation for being IN the circle too soon.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Nov 5th, 2004 at 08:48 AM]
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yes.

Welcome to the Forum.
A player can only move to another position around the circle once the toss has left the referee's hand(s). If he moves to a new position during the period of time from when the referee is ready until the toss, he has violated.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

gg....for reference

Specifically, the rules state:

6.4.2: When the referee is ready and until the ball is tossed, nonjumpers shall not:

a. Move on the the center restaining circle.
b. Change position around the center restraining circle.

This means that movement can occur after the toss.

6.4.5: Until the tossed ball is touched by one of both jumpers, nonjumpers shall not:

a. Have either foot break the plane of the center restraining circle cylinder.
b. Take a position in any occupied space.

This supports that movement away from the circle is allowed.