The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

The following questions have created much discussion....so I'm putting 'em to the EXPERTS!

#11 - T
#58 - T
#90 - F

Do you agree?
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 09:26pm
In Memoriam

#11 is false. Continuous motion applies to a foul by ANY defensive player, not just on the shooter. R4-11-1,2.

The other answers are OK.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

I didn't have any problem with these when I took the test provided earlier, but I missed question #95 regarding the home team wearing "white". I knew the home team wore the "light" color uniforms but did not know the rule had changed for the 2007-2008 season. Was reading the 2004-05 case book right after I tested myself and noticed on page 3 that it talks about this. I guess it is true what people say -- RTFM!
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by imaref
The following questions have created much discussion....so I'm putting 'em to the EXPERTS!

#11 - T
#58 - T
#90 - F

Do you agree?
#11 -- Shouldn't have been much discussion this year. The rule was clarified (but not changed) just because it generated so much discussion

#58 -- If you read 5-2-1, you'd think the correct answer is F. If you read 5.2.1C, you'd think the correct answer is T.

#90 -- Gets to a game management issue -- we've seen this discussion on this (and other) boards before. Note that "Shoes" are not one of the exceptions in 5-11
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
SECTION 11 CONTINUOUS MOTION
ART. 1 . . . Continuous motion applies to a try or tap for field goals and free throws, but it has no significance unless there is a foul by any defensive player during the interval which begins when the habitual throwing movement starts a try or with the touching on a tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight.

So the first one would be False.

#58 is T - 5-2-1

#90 is F - 5-11 Exc.

Hope this helps!
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
SECTION 11 CONTINUOUS MOTION
ART. 1 . . . Continuous motion applies to a try or tap for field goals and free throws, but it has no significance unless there is a foul by any defensive player during the interval which begins when the habitual throwing movement starts a try or with the touching on a tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight.
While that is the definition straight from the book, the NFHS actually messed it up. They wrote "any defensive player" when they should have written "any opponent" because the foul could be committed by a non-player.

For example, if opposing coach or other bench personnel commits a technical foul during the continuous motion time frame that should not cancel the try.
6.7 Comment on page 49 of the Case Book words it better.
"Continuous motion is of significance only where there is a personal or technical foul by B after the trying or tapping motion by A1 is started and before the ball is in flight."