The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   04-05 NFHS BB Exam 1 help! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16296-04-05-nfhs-bb-exam-1-help.html)

imaref Thu Nov 04, 2004 09:13pm

The following questions have created much discussion....so I'm putting 'em to the EXPERTS!

#11 - T
#58 - T
#90 - F

Do you agree?

Jurassic Referee Thu Nov 04, 2004 09:26pm

#11 is false. Continuous motion applies to a foul by ANY defensive player, not just on the shooter. R4-11-1,2.

The other answers are OK.

dblref Fri Nov 05, 2004 06:38am

I didn't have any problem with these when I took the test provided earlier, but I missed question #95 regarding the home team wearing "white". I knew the home team wore the "light" color uniforms but did not know the rule had changed for the 2007-2008 season. Was reading the 2004-05 case book right after I tested myself and noticed on page 3 that it talks about this. I guess it is true what people say -- RTFM!

bob jenkins Fri Nov 05, 2004 08:52am

Quote:

Originally posted by imaref
The following questions have created much discussion....so I'm putting 'em to the EXPERTS!

#11 - T
#58 - T
#90 - F

Do you agree?

#11 -- Shouldn't have been much discussion this year. The rule was clarified (but not changed) just because it generated so much discussion

#58 -- If you read 5-2-1, you'd think the correct answer is F. If you read 5.2.1C, you'd think the correct answer is T.

#90 -- Gets to a game management issue -- we've seen this discussion on this (and other) boards before. Note that "Shoes" are not one of the exceptions in 5-11

IREFU2 Fri Nov 05, 2004 09:07am

SECTION 11 CONTINUOUS MOTION
ART. 1 . . . Continuous motion applies to a try or tap for field goals and free throws, but it has no significance unless there is a foul by any defensive player during the interval which begins when the habitual throwing movement starts a try or with the touching on a tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight.

So the first one would be False.

#58 is T - 5-2-1

#90 is F - 5-11 Exc.

Hope this helps!

Nevadaref Mon Nov 08, 2004 06:09am

Quote:

Originally posted by IREFU2
SECTION 11 CONTINUOUS MOTION
ART. 1 . . . Continuous motion applies to a try or tap for field goals and free throws, but it has no significance unless there is a foul by any defensive player during the interval which begins when the habitual throwing movement starts a try or with the touching on a tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight.

While that is the definition straight from the book, the NFHS actually messed it up. They wrote "any defensive player" when they should have written "any opponent" because the foul could be committed by a non-player.

For example, if opposing coach or other bench personnel commits a technical foul during the continuous motion time frame that should not cancel the try.
6.7 Comment on page 49 of the Case Book words it better.
"Continuous motion is of significance only where there is a personal or technical foul by B after the trying or tapping motion by A1 is started and before the ball is in flight."