The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am sorry for the long lead-in to my question.

It seems that a small number of situations have no specific rule(s) that apply, and we attempt reasonably apply a rule that applies to a similar situation. In other cases (like the in the "Closely Guarded?" thread) the rule(s) that most closely applies is ambiguous. The controversy on this message board (and a lot of other places) about sharing test answers is yet kind of situation that seems not to have a clear answer.

I really enjoy this message board. I think it is very valuable for me to consider the situations that others present, and to consider the opinions of a variety of experienced officials. I like it when I learn something new or affirm what I already now. I particularly appreciate the effort that posters make to cite rules and casebook sections. However, what I occasionally experience here is what I experience with my local board. A question is posed, people with a lot experience all insist that their answers are correct, even though they give two or more different answers. Ultimately, I don't know for sure what the "right" answer is.

How do we get official, authoritative answers to our questions?

Rick
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Durkee
I am sorry for the long lead-in to my question.

It seems that a small number of situations have no specific rule(s) that apply, and we attempt reasonably apply a rule that applies to a similar situation. In other cases (like the in the "Closely Guarded?" thread) the rule(s) that most closely applies is ambiguous. The controversy on this message board (and a lot of other places) about sharing test answers is yet kind of situation that seems not to have a clear answer.

I really enjoy this message board. I think it is very valuable for me to consider the situations that others present, and to consider the opinions of a variety of experienced officials. I like it when I learn something new or affirm what I already now. I particularly appreciate the effort that posters make to cite rules and casebook sections. However, what I occasionally experience here is what I experience with my local board. A question is posed, people with a lot experience all insist that their answers are correct, even though they give two or more different answers. Ultimately, I don't know for sure what the "right" answer is.

How do we get official, authoritative answers to our questions?

Rick
You've just asked the $64,000 question, Rick. And welcome to the board, by the way. What most of us do is to find out how our assignor wants certain situations handled and then we do it that way. If the assignor is happy, you're in business.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

rainmaker is right, good question. We don't ask our assignor, we get a ruling from our state (who contacts NFHS if they aren't sure).

Z
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
rainmaker is right, good question. We don't ask our assignor, we get a ruling from our state (who contacts NFHS if they aren't sure).

Z
Our assignor is also the rules interpreter for Oregon. Simplifies things.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Z
Our assignor is also the rules interpreter for Oregon. Simplifies things.
Very streamlined. Quite nice.

Z
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Just ask me.