The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

In this situation you had a fight by any definition B did something that caused A to retaliate.If there was more lag time between the shove and the punch it may have been prevented by a strong whistle and stepping in quickly this wasn't the case here. rule of thumb for fights nothing else happens until the fight is stopped then move both teams to their benches. Then get together with the other officals
go over what will be reported, who will be ejected, how many free throws...etc. report to the table inform the coaches then move the players back onto the floor.
this procedure gives time for the coaches to refocus their players and helps us get what we are going to do next correct. And when the players get back on the court you have all the officials focused on them preventing any other
acts.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 05:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
I like that part about spitting the whistle out chuck. My initial thought was that if you could not tell which occurred first, it is simultaneous, if you can tell which occurred first, they are not simultaneous.
However, the rule says "approximately" the same time. This leaves room for one to occur slightly after the other and still be consider a double or simultaneous foul.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Adendum

In response to the poster who did not feel right in trying to get between two 6'5" players, I can and do feel your pain.

Let me try and explain a little better. When we have a held ball, especially one that involves floor burns, we have been taught on our board to get in there and get that ball! Break up that held ball situation because the longer one lingers from afar, the better chance you have of one player adding a elbow to the tangled mess.

So, given that situation, I would "try" and tet into this situation too. At the very least, I think we should be moving in on that type of play, and not moving away from nor just simply observing from a distance.

I would agree, once blows have been struck, I'm not sticking my puss between two fighters, but I'm also not lounging around.

I'm not being critical on the original poster becasue I wasn't there and really can't comment on if they did the right thing or not. I was merely pointing out that given like situations, I think it is best to get things under control and then sort things out.

Chuckie...exactly what 'splain might I need to do? Did we have a fight that I missed, or that I let you clean up? My memory is a little foggy since I've seen so many fights, they just all seem to run together.

goose
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Adendum

Quote:
Originally posted by Goose
Chuckie...exactly what 'splain might I need to do?
No, we didn't have a fight in one of our games. But in your post, you said. . .

Quote:
I won't say never, but I never leave. . .
Just being picky, that's all.