The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   ncaa exam #4. official rules block!! correct or not (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16182-ncaa-exam-4-official-rules-block-correct-not.html)

jritchie Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:20am

summary.... player B1 in legal guarding position, places foot on sideline and A1 contacts B1?? block/charge situation??????? i know in NFHS it is now supposed to be an automatic blocking situation... haven't been able to find nothing about it in ncaa rules, i'm assuming, that it is not the same and wish they would of had it in the quick differences reference page 78... :)

Jay R Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:28am

Quote:

Originally posted by jritchie
summary.... player B1 in legal guarding position, places foot on sideline and A1 contacts B1?? block/charge situation??????? i know in NFHS it is now supposed to be an automatic blocking situation... haven't been able to find nothing about it in ncaa rules, i'm assuming, that it is not the same and wish they would of had it in the quick differences reference page 78... :)

Both feet have to be inbounds to obtain a legal guarding position. Only foot needs to inbound to maintain a LGP.

In NCAA anyway. Not sure about NFHS, I don`t use those rules.

Dan_ref Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:33am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jay R
Quote:

Both feet have to be inbounds to obtain a legal guarding position. Only foot needs to inbound to maintain a LGP.

Jay, this has been changed. See 4-33, you need to be completely inbounds to obtain & maintain LGP.

jritchie Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:46am

thanks, yes 4.33.art1 is highlighted because of the change i think... it does say, "guarding postion shall be established and maintained on the playing court"
and
4.33 art6.b says "guard is required to have one or two feet on the playing court,but then says(cannot be out of bounds) so i guess that means just raising one foot off the ground but still in bounds.....

Jay R Fri Oct 29, 2004 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Originally posted by Jay R
Quote:

Jay, this has been changed. See 4-33, you need to be completely inbounds to obtain & maintain LGP.

NCAA 2005 Rule Boook. Section 4-33
Article 6 "To maintain a legal guarding position:"
b) "The guard is required to have either one foot or both feet on the playing court (cannot be out-of bounds)"

I read that as meaning that a player could have one foot out-of-bounds. My bad.