The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Dodge ball breaks out in game. One or two technicals? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16026-dodge-ball-breaks-out-game-one-two-technicals.html)

Jimgolf Thu Oct 21, 2004 08:37am

Situation in a scrimmage the other night: Close game, B1 scores and celebrates by yelling and glaring at A1. A1 inbounds after the basket, B1 jumping up and down to block pass. He does, but with his face, ball goes OB. B1 then retrieves ball and throws it at A1's head, but misses. I ejected B1 with a Flagrant Technical.

Should I also have punished A1 for the inbounds in the face? I couldn't say for certain that it was deliberate, but it might have been (in retrospect, it seems likely, but at the time I didn't even think of it).

rfp Thu Oct 21, 2004 08:51am

You might have prevented the situation by hitting B1 with an unsportsmanlike conduct technical for taunting after his made basket.

Grail Thu Oct 21, 2004 08:54am

If A1's inbound was deliberate he is likely tossed with a flagrant foul. Since you didn't think so at the time, I'd say you got that part right.

Junker Thu Oct 21, 2004 08:54am

If you can't tell for sure that it's deliberate, you can't call it a technical. My question is, why wasn't B1 given a T for taunting before the ball was inbounded? From your description it sounds like a no brainer, and may have nipped the problem in the bud as Barney Fife would say. This may have prevented the judgement call on the throw in, but as we'll say many times throughout the season, I wasn't there. I totally agree with tossing B1 for thowing the ball at another player. Sounds like a hectic night at the office for scrimmage pay, or lack thereof.

SMEngmann Fri Oct 22, 2004 03:50pm

I agree, punish B1 for unsportsmanlike conduct and if A1 then decides to start a fight, toss them both. In this case, if you judge A1's act to be intentional, you've got a fight when B1 retaliates and toss them both for fighting.

Jimgolf Sat Oct 23, 2004 02:28am

Quote:

Originally posted by Junker
If you can't tell for sure that it's deliberate, you can't call it a technical. My question is, why wasn't B1 given a T for taunting before the ball was inbounded? From your description it sounds like a no brainer, and may have nipped the problem in the bud as Barney Fife would say. This may have prevented the judgement call on the throw in, but as we'll say many times throughout the season, I wasn't there. I totally agree with tossing B1 for thowing the ball at another player. Sounds like a hectic night at the office for scrimmage pay, or lack thereof.
I took it more as a celebration than as taunting, but I guess A1 thought otherwise. Who expects these things to break out at a scrimmage? I can hardly wait for the season to start (shudder).

Nevadaref Sat Oct 23, 2004 03:14am

In addition to what others have said, I recommend that you read 10.3.7 Situation B.