The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I had a game recently, the last game of four. I blew the toss, badly. It took my totally by surprise and by the time I'd realized how bad it was and got my whistle in my mouth, the first bucket had already been scored. Bottom line--I lost my focus.

What do you do to keep from losing focus? How do you make sure you're in the game starting with the opening toss? Even at the end of a long night.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the other official(s) who is/are not tossing the ball observing the toss making the call if it was bad?
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

The umpire should blow back a poor toss.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Too true. The fact is, he didn't. But I can only fix one of us.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Too true. The fact is, he didn't. But I can only fix one of us.
I don't know how to if you are doing multiple games. I do my toss the same way every time, so focus on your routine.

I once had a 4th game of the night that went 3 overtimes, so I had FOUR tosses. Not a bad one in the bunch...as he pats himself on the back.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

just 1 time I want the throw the ball into the corner and let the kids race for it.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

You could move to Iowa and flip a coin for girls' games.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a game recently, the last game of four. What do you do to keep from losing focus?
Do less than four games.

Z
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
I had a game recently, the last game of four. What do you do to keep from losing focus?
Do less than four games.

Z
Seriously, Ray, I don't think this is a bad suggestion. Nor is the one from BZ about establishing a routine and sticking to it.

What I do anytime I have trouble keeping my head in the game is talk to myself out loud, describing what's happening, and my judgements and decisions. It really does work.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
just 1 time I want the throw the ball into the corner and let the kids race for it.
Just one time I would like my toss not to look lke I'm tossing it in the corner...
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

School me...

Slightly OT but:

why in the world do they do a coin toss? What possible reason could there be to do that instead of a jump ball. There must be a reason, but it seems just STUPID to me!

Help me understand this one..
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the thinking is that the girls are not good enough athletes for a toss, but I'm not sure. Then again, in Iowa we've only been playing girls 5 on 5 for about 10-15 years. There are other differences between boys and girls. One example is that for girls in Iowa, if a player is knocked unconcious they may re-enter the game with a school officials approval, rather than a doctor's. One rule change that I do like is that they leave the bottom blocks of the lane empty for free throws. I think it cleans up a lot of pushing. Early in the season in G/B double headers I make sure I go over the adaptations before the girls game just so I don't mess something up.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Re: School me...

Quote:
Originally posted by rotationslim
Slightly OT but:

why in the world do they do a coin toss? What possible reason could there be to do that instead of a jump ball. There must be a reason, but it seems just STUPID to me!

I visited the Iowa High School Activities Association web site. Buried inside the girl's basketball section was this explaination.

"Beginning with the 2001-2002 season, each game will begin with a coin toss. The winner of the toss will be awarded the ball for a throw in to begin the game.

Be assured that the change was not undertaken lightly. A large working group consisting of coaches, administrators, officials and state office personell studied this issue for more than three years before recommending this action. Although the jump ball has always been a somewhat controversial element of the game, the committee stated that the deciding factor was ultimately that Dan_ref was unable to produce a toss that did not look like he was tossing it into the corner."
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: School me...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rotationslim
Slightly OT but:

I visited the Iowa High School Activities Association web site. Buried inside the girl's basketball section was this explaination.

"Beginning with the 2001-2002 season, each game will begin with a coin toss. The winner of the toss will be awarded the ball for a throw in to begin the game.

Be assured that the change was not undertaken lightly. A large working group consisting of coaches, administrators, officials and state office personell studied this issue for more than three years before recommending this action. Although the jump ball has always been a somewhat controversial element of the game, the committee stated that the deciding factor was ultimately that Dan_ref was unable to produce a toss that did not look like he was tossing it into the corner."
Well, I personally think they should re-consider now that they've run him out of the state.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'd rather toss a ball than a coin... anyday.

I guess title 9 does not apply to jump balls..

I will add, on a strictly personal note... with my particular skill set, I'd rather toss a jump ball than a coin. As a run-of-the-mill American kid, I have been throwing balls since I was 2 years old... and I am actually compitent at that.. but flipping a coin.. forget about it.. I am lucky if you can find it after I flip it... it will likely land out of bounds if I toss it at the center circle...

If I were reffing in Iowa, I'd make the girls do rock-paper- scissors for the first possesion, it is just as legitimate as a coin toss.

What are those hawkeyes thinking.