The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

I recently read in our local newpapers that HS officials are desparately needed in almost all sports. I really would like to "expand" my horizons and get into other sports (I do softball).

Having never played nor watched much basketball, would I be foolish to try my hand a "officiating" this sport? Being of "challenged" in the height department I never really had an interest in the sport so I'm really starting from scratch regarding rules, positions, etc.

Thanks for your input. I don't want to get into something that wouldn't make much sense for me or for the players/coaches.

Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 02:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Go for it. I think the best officials in one sport are usually multi-sport officials. Or at least they have some background in more than one sport. You might find that you become a much better softball umpire by working in basketball.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 02:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by SactoBlue
Being of "challenged" in the height department I never really had an interest in the sport so I'm really starting from scratch regarding rules, positions, etc.

Don't let your height be a factor. There are some great basketball officials that were very noticeably vertically challenged. For instance, when they finally read the roll of great officials up yonder, I'm sure that our own Chuck Elias will be right there listening.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

I have a friend that never played one second of basketball in school and now is a D1 official in the Valley.

Good luck SactoBlue.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I can't believe it took more than half an hour for my name to come up in this thread.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Go for it, Sacto.

It's a good way to do good work for kids, get some exercise, meet some great people and get a little walking-around money.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 09:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Here's the litmus test for basketball officiating. Go down to the local zoo with a tape recorder. Tape the howler monkeys for one hour. Go home and lock yourself in a small closet. Play the tape at full volume for 2 hours.

If you stay the entire two hours in the closet and then can come out and walk straight, you qualify.

However, if after five minutes, you either have a nervous breakdown and/or wet your pants, it means either you don't have what it takes, or you're French - or both.
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I can't believe it took more than half an hour for my name to come up in this thread.
And several more hours to mention Eli, and my friend here who is a Pac-10 ref, Tom Spitznagel. Not to mention all the highly qualified but vertically challenged women who referee at all levels You're in good company Chuck, and Sacto!
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 07:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
And several more hours to mention Eli, and my friend here who is a Pac-10 ref, Tom Spitznagel. Not to mention all the highly qualified but vertically challenged women who referee at all levels You're in good company Chuck, and Sacto!
Don't forget to put Rocky on your short list too.
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

That's a really bad pun, JR. Come on, you're bigger than that
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't want to offend him. I'm hoping he'll come and evaluate at my camp in November. And I don't want to give him any excuse to ream me out next summer when he's evaluating me ( I mean besides the lousy reffing.)
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 12:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Don't forget to put Rocky on your short list too. [/B]
I didn't want to offend him. I'm hoping he'll come and evaluate at my camp in November. And I don't want to give him any excuse to ream me out next summer when he's evaluating me ( I mean besides the lousy reffing.) [/B][/QUOTE]Try this, Juulie. Maybe this will help you out with Rocky:
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't want to offend him. I'm hoping he'll come and evaluate at my camp in November. And I don't want to give him any excuse to ream me out next summer when he's evaluating me ( I mean besides the lousy reffing.) [/B]
Try this, Juulie. Maybe this will help you out with Rocky:
[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't have that many friends.

PS Would you wanna come and evaluate, JR?