The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 04:26am
Official Forum Member

I know that the ball is consider part of the hand when the ball is in contact with the hand , so my question is why is it that alot of refs call a foul when players atempt to block a shot and hits the players hand when the ball is still in contact with the hand. I have partners who call this a foul and do I call it the same if my p calls it or let it go?
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by xxssmen
I know that the ball is consider part of the hand when the ball is in contact with the hand , so my question is why is it that alot of refs call a foul when players atempt to block a shot and hits the players hand when the ball is still in contact with the hand. I have partners who call this a foul and do I call it the same if my p calls it or let it go?
By rule, this is legal. Pregame it with your partner to get consistency between the two of you. Talk it over at halftime if you think you're not calling the same game.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
I know that the ball is consider part of the hand when the ball is in contact with the hand , so my question is why is it that alot of refs call a foul when players atempt to block a shot and hits the players hand when the ball is still in contact with the hand.
Because they don't know the rule.
Because they didn't see the play.
Because they call the sound of the slap.
Because they're not very good officials.
Because they haven't developed whistle discipline yet.
Because they anticipated that the contact would be on the arm.

Any or all of the above. Take your pick.

Quote:
I have partners who call this a foul and do I call it the same if my p calls it or let it go?
NEVER call something incorrectly just because your partner does. If you know the rule, do NOT misapply the rule simply because your partner has misapplied it earlier in the game. If you see your partner missing a rule, talk it about it halftime, or in pregame. "Hey, what's the rule in this situation? I gotta look that up. . ."

If your partner is calling a littler tighter or a little looser than you are, you can adjust to that. But intentional misapplication of a rule is never the answer, in my humble opinion.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know that the ball is consider part of the hand when the ball is in contact with the hand
Only when making a play for the ball, and only when contact is made by the defender's hand. Deliberately hitting the hand is still a foul, as is hitting the hand with other than the defender's hand.
Quote:
"He/she shall not contact an opponent with his/her hand unless such contact is only with the opponent's hand while it is on the ball and is incidental to an attempt to play the ball."
Does this mean hitting the hand after the ball is released is a foul?
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

I don't want to over simplify this issue, but
there could be is additional contact that you don't see.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Over and over and over this summer at camps I heard; "let players block shots".

Even though the hand is part of the ball, some refs will whistle that contact on the shooters hand. Another quote we heard; "coaches are not usually as concerned about what you didn't call as they are to what you did call, so long as it's consistant".
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"He/she shall not contact an opponent with his/her hand unless such contact is only with the opponent's hand while it is on the ball and is incidental to an attempt to play the ball."
Does this mean hitting the hand after the ball is released is a foul? [/B][/QUOTE]

such contact is only with the opponent's hand "WHILE IT IS ON THE BALL" not after it has left their hands
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

This point comes up all the time in base leagues. The players think that because they got touched on the hand it should be a foul. It gets old..."he ref, what no foul?"..."When he fouls you I'll call it" I always get hit at a dead ball wanting an explanation. Usually I tell them to go get the captain or I'll explain it to the coach one time and then point them all in his direction.

As far as after the ball has left the hand, I try to apply two thoughts (1) was it intentional? If yes, I'll expel some air through the whistle. (2) did it affect the play?

Am I wrong in this thought process? or could I apply it differently for better play?
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

I think this is a really good topic for a pregame. Tell your partner how you'll call it and get one the same page. You may differ in the locker room but that's where you'll decide how it is as a team on the floor.

IMOHO
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 12:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Why do birds sing in the morning when you have to go to sleep?

I would not match my partner at all. I would call my game and keep calling my game. If there is someone there evaluating they will make a point of what calls were good and what calls were suspect or bad. You do not want the evaluators to downgrade you for being just as wrong as your partner.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie

Quote:
Does this mean hitting the hand after the ball is released is a foul?
such contact is only with the opponent's hand "WHILE IT IS ON THE BALL" not after it has left their hands [/B][/QUOTE]

It's not a foul to "high five" the shooter after the ball is gone UNLESS the contact puts the shooter at a disadvantage. If it messes up their landing or knocks them to the floor it is a foul, a minor slap is incidental contact.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
Chuck, has your opinion ever been humble?
I think my opinions are usually offered humbly. Either that, or they're offered sarcastically. I can never keep those two straight. . .
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 09:45pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
Chuck, has your opinion ever been humble?
I think my opinions are usually offered humbly. Either that, or they're offered sarcastically. I can never keep those two straight. . .

Chuck:

I think your post of this morning was dead on correct. It was a very astute observation of some of the problems that we face as officials.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by garote
IMOHO
What does this stand for?

In My Outstreached Humble Opinion