The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

At my Monday game, several student/fans used big megaphones during the contest to yell different chants and phrases. I checked with the administration about their legality at high school games. They seemed to feel megaphones were okay so they stayed. A check of the rule book had nothing specific on noisemakers either. We, as officials, felt a couple of times the sportsmanship line may have been crossed. Discussion with other officials has left me with this thought: megaphones/noisemakers are allowable unless their use becomes unsporting. I have not received a reply to an e-mail I sent to the state office. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

In the NCAA rule book it specifically states that artificial noise makers arn't allowed this includes megaphone and drums. I don't know what the NFHS says about this topic.

keep smiling
SH
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

I had a similar situation in a JUCO game earlier this year, only it was the cheerleaders using the megaphone, not a fan. They were right behind a player trying to inbound the ball, yelling at the kid to distract him. We gave them a warning and told them next time it would be a T for their team. Not sure if we handled it properly or not, but it solved the problem (at least for that night). Would be interested in hearing some other thoughts on this one.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC
In the NCAA rule book it specifically states that artificial noise makers arn't allowed this includes megaphone and drums. I don't know what the NFHS says about this topic.

keep smiling
SH
NFHS specifically bans megaphones (other than a rolled-up program, etc.) for coaches.

There is nothing about fan noisemakers, although I know CT prohibits signs and noisemakers for state tournaments.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Huebsch
I had a similar situation in a JUCO game earlier this year, only it was the cheerleaders using the megaphone, not a fan. They were right behind a player trying to inbound the ball, yelling at the kid to distract him. We gave them a warning and told them next time it would be a T for their team. Not sure if we handled it properly or not, but it solved the problem (at least for that night). Would be interested in hearing some other thoughts on this one.
Why warn the cheerleader? Warning the coach usually has more of an impact, and if you were to give a 'T' to the coach they might have like to know of the warning.

keep smiling
SH
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 12:34am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Interesting... I can't find anything in the NFHS rule book either.

At a game I had a few weeks ago, several students we using cow bells in the stands (the cows were not attached). I told game management that the bells had to go and they took care of it.

There was no way that I was going to listen to that junk all game long!

Anyway, I'd be interested in anyone finds a direct or related rule reference...

The students were pretty funny - reminded me of how stupid I was in high school and college. They were mostly yelling at the other players (although they did use the old "Go back to Foot Locker" thing, which I always think is funny - one from my personal reportoire).

Anyway, they were yelling "YOU SUCK!" really loud at several of the other players, which is just really mean So, when I was over on the sideline near them I said, "Guys, quit yelling you suck - say something else." Of course, they immediately begin yelling, "YOU STINK!!", "YOU SMELL!!"
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

I think at the HS level it is up to the states.

IF Indy Ref went to HS in IN, he can back me up on this. On the eve of the Basketball tourney every year our principal gave us the "warning" from the IHSAA on legal and illegal conduct at the tourney site. Of the 4 million specifically banned items, Cowbells were one of them.

You know for that to get specific mention, something bad had to happen with them, I wish I knew what it was.