The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   OPPOSITE TABLE ?????? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/15652-opposite-table.html)

mtbabo Thu Sep 30, 2004 02:25pm

When doing NCAA Men’s what are the exceptions when the official would not go tableside after calling a foul?
As far as I know they are.

1.When a player has a 5th foul and your partner tells the coach.The calling officials goes opposite.
What are the other exceptions?

Thank you

Larks Thu Sep 30, 2004 02:37pm

I'll add a question....do you think its reasonable to pregame going opposite for game management reasons? Example, late in the game....or anytime really....a coach that you know is gonna be painful.....force a switch to get out of there? I know there is an argument that part of the reason for this change in high school is to improve communications but there are also times where I think getting out of dodge could be better for the game at that moment.

Thoughts?

JRutledge Thu Sep 30, 2004 03:19pm

I cannot find it in the manual.

It appears to not specifically say. They do seem to give an option as it relates to Technical Fouls, but nothing about how to handle foul out or disqualification situations. I would assume they would share the same philosophy for this situation; it is just not spelled out. At least it does not say anything in the current manual. I will try to look back in previous manuals to see what they say. I have always assumed that it was the same as NF Mechanics.

Peace

tmp44 Tue Oct 05, 2004 02:36pm

Let me add a question. Has anyone ever heard of the following mechanic...If a foul occurs in the front court and the ball will be "going the other way," has anyone ever heard of the calling official reporting the foul to the table and then returning to his position prior to the foul being called, similar to that of a violation? For example, if the lead calls an offensive foul in the paint and the ball will be going out on the baseline, does the lead go report the foul, and then return to the baseline to administer and become the new trail? This would be the same as the lead calling a traveling violation, and then administering the throw in as the new trail. Any truth to this?

ChuckElias Tue Oct 05, 2004 02:56pm

tmp, NCAA men's officials do not rotate on fouls in the backcourt, unless FTs will be shot. So you are correct, in most cases, the official will call the foul, report to the table, then return to his/her position for the subsequent throw-in.

mick Tue Oct 05, 2004 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tmp44
Let me add a question. Has anyone ever heard of the following mechanic...<U>If a foul occurs in the front court and the ball will be "going the other way," has anyone ever heard of the calling official reporting the foul to the table and then returning to his position prior to the foul being called, similar to that of a violation?</U> For example, if the lead calls an offensive foul in the paint and the ball will be going out on the baseline, does the lead go report the foul, and then return to the baseline to administer and become the new trail? This would be the same as the lead calling a traveling violation, and then administering the throw in as the new trail. Any truth to this?
tmp44,

You may want to look up the references to the "Long Switch",
where the reporting official does go to the table rather than forcing a switch with partners who have already moved 1/2-way down the court.

In your sitch (underlined) you have an example of "no Long Switch."

Welcome to the forum. :)

mick

tmp44 Tue Oct 05, 2004 06:53pm

Thanks Mick and Chuck. I was taught the "no long switch" at a camp over the summer. Now, do either of you know whether this will apply to the NF mechanics change this year? I have heard yes....

ChuckElias Tue Oct 05, 2004 07:01pm

I have heard that the FED will not make the long switch in 3-whistle. But I don't work 3-whistle in high school, so I can't tell you that for sure.

Nevadaref Wed Oct 06, 2004 03:10am

Quote:

Originally posted by tmp44
Let me add a question. Has anyone ever heard of the following mechanic...If a foul occurs in the front court and the ball will be "going the other way," has anyone ever heard of the calling official reporting the foul to the table and then returning to his position prior to the foul being called, similar to that of a violation? For example, if the lead calls an offensive foul in the paint and the ball will be going out on the baseline, does the lead go report the foul, and then return to the baseline to administer and become the new trail? This would be the same as the lead calling a traveling violation, and then administering the throw in as the new trail. Any truth to this?
I know of a conference that handles it this way in the backcourt. If the Lead is already tableside, he reports the foul and returns to inbound the ball. If the Lead is opposite, he reports and switches with the Center. That way the Long Switch (Lead--Trail) is avoided, but the foul-calling official ALWAYS ends up tableside. The Lead--Center switch is considered a short switch.

Rickref Wed Oct 06, 2004 03:44pm

We do a lot of 3-man at the High School level and as an association we pretty much agree not to long switch for calls in the back court.