The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

In my game today (i'm a player, not a ref), the other team had 7 team fouls, going into the 2nd quarter
they fouled us a minute into the 2nd quarter, and the ref just gave the ball to us OOB. the scores keeper told him that the team was in the penalty (1-and-1) and the ref didn't say anything
during the half time, the coach asked him why he didn't give us any FTs. the ref started making up exscuses like "oh they were shooting fouls anyways so you got what you wanted", even 3 of the 4 fouls were just reaching in.
we ended up NOT shooting like 2 or 3 one-and-ones.

what can the ref do if he makes a mistake like that, and what can the players do about it? i was gonna tell the ref (right after the fou), that they're in the penalty, but didn't, cuz refs in our rec league aren't exactly 'nice' and don't respond to your requests very well.

Mark, i hope you can answer this question as you're in Portland as well as i am and you might know some of the refs who do HYB games..

thanks to everyone who responds in advance
peace out

happy reffing!
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Under correctable errors, 2-10-1a, Failure to award a merited free throw, the error is correctable. According to 2-10-2,the error must be recognized by an official during first dead ball after clock properly starts. If someone pointed out after ball came in play that there should have been free throws, ref could call time (creating first dead ball after clock starting) and check with table (at which time he can recognize and correct the error). So the original failure could and should have been corrected when pointed out to ref, and no subsequent errors of this nature need have occurred.

The problem here, however, does not sound like one of not knowing what can be done, but an attitude issue. Bad attitude during a game is an error, regardless of who is the bearer of that attitude, but is not usually correctable.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

this sure does sound like a real serious attitude problem!I don't know your procedures in Portland but your coach should officially complain to whoever is in charge of your officials up there.Also if Mark or whoever knows these ref's maybe they can be talked into a new vocation like quilting so they won't embarrass the rest of us anymore.