The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Scorekeeper buzzes prematurely (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/15545-scorekeeper-buzzes-prematurely.html)

cford Thu Sep 23, 2004 03:05pm

This has happened to everyone at one point or another.

There is a dead ball and the official checks the table for subs. When they see that there are none at the table they proceed in giving the ball to the player throwing it in. Then a player runs over from the bench and the scorekeeper blows the horn. We know that this means nothing but the player stops looking to throw the ball in and waits for the substitution to take place. Usually I try and keep the count going and tell the player to ignore and continue. Sometimes this doesn't work and everyone on the court is confused.

I have handled this differently on separate occasions. First of all this should not happen if you talk to your scorekeepers and tell them how subs are to be handled, but sometimes you don't have time or they forget.

My question is do you usually just keep counting and give them a couple of extra seconds leeway on your count or do you blow your whistle and restart your count (while letting or not letting the sub in). Part of me thinks that if you blow your whistle you have just blown the play dead and you have to bring the sub in.

Is anyone a hard a$$ and counts the exact 5 seconds while the player is standing there confused?

Grail Thu Sep 23, 2004 03:31pm

I'm certainly not the veteran that some others around here are, but if everyone on the court has stopped, it only seems fair to blow the whistle and start over. I would not allow the sub as they had not reported in time to enter the game. Just take a step or 2 toward the table, tell the sub they need to wait for the next dead ball, (explain to coach if necessary), and start the throw in again.

som44 Thu Sep 23, 2004 04:12pm

I agree this should not happen but in fact it does--I agree with the solution mentioned--it always seems all play
stops-good solution I think

Mark Dexter Thu Sep 23, 2004 04:32pm

I swear it's never happened to me before! :p

JugglingReferee Thu Sep 23, 2004 07:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by cford
This has happened to everyone at one point or another.

There is a dead ball and the official checks the table for subs. When they see that there are none at the table they proceed in giving the ball to the player throwing it in. Then a player runs over from the bench and the scorekeeper blows the horn. We know that this means nothing but the player stops looking to throw the ball in and waits for the substitution to take place. Usually I try and keep the count going and tell the player to ignore and continue. Sometimes this doesn't work and everyone on the court is confused.

I have handled this differently on separate occasions. First of all this should not happen if you talk to your scorekeepers and tell them how subs are to be handled, but sometimes you don't have time or they forget.

My question is do you usually just keep counting and give them a couple of extra seconds leeway on your count or do you blow your whistle and restart your count (while letting or not letting the sub in). Part of me thinks that if you blow your whistle you have just blown the play dead and you have to bring the sub in.

Is anyone a hard a$$ and counts the exact 5 seconds while the player is standing there confused?

I don't allow the sub and re-start the 5 second count if the other team is inbounding or pause for 2 seconds if the same team is inboundng.

Many coaches around here know why the sub isn't allowed in.

Doesn't premature mean early? This sub was buzzed in late... hmm...

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Sep 23rd, 2004 at 09:02 PM]

mick Thu Sep 23, 2004 08:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee

JugglingReferee,
Only a little late, ...a lot early.

{Now, ...does August come before, or after, September? } :)
mick

Mark Dexter Thu Sep 23, 2004 09:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick

mick

You're reffing a game on a cruise ship in the middle of the Pacific Ocean . . . :p

rainmaker Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:02pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

JugglingReferee,
Only a little late, ...a lot early.

mick

Depends on whether it's a running clock game...

cford Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:10pm

Quote:

I figured someone would catch this but I left it that way anyway b/c as Mick said it can go either way. :p

Jurassic Referee Fri Sep 24, 2004 01:41am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by cford

Part of me thinks that if you blow your whistle you have just blown the play dead and you have to bring the sub in.

I don't allow the sub and re-start the 5 second count if the other team is inbounding or pause for 2 seconds if the same team is inboundng.

I think that the Juggler is saying that your whistle is a case of premature exhalation.

I hate that.