The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Before I was certified, I worked for a year in the local CYO league. Now this year, I have been asked to run a clinic for this league, and I am just wondering what things should be covered.

The clinic will last roughly 2-3 hours, and involve some on-court work. The majority of people taking the clinic are high school students grade 9-10 who are just showing up to get their compulsory volunteer service hours. Probably none have officiating experience.

Now, I'm just wondering what are the important things to go over.

When I took the clinic the emphasis was put on blasting the whistle loud, being confident when making a call, being in position and trying to use good signals. There really isn't that much emphasis placed on rules. Now if I was to introduce any sort of lesson on the rules, what do you think are the most important ones, or the ones that should be stressed. I was thinking about maybe going over the list of basketball rules "myths" as many of the people who volunteer are/were players and well you know, might have been taught some rules incorrectly .

Anyways, any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 10:41am
cingram

If you do some rules coverage I would say cover Fouls and Violations. Do a general coverage of all the Fouls and all the Violations that can be called (and their appropriate signals).

If you have more time, than you can go into a couple of the violations and the intricacies of them (travel...). Have your rule book handy and be able to find things quickly.

As for on court work - It may be useful to try and do a shadow program if you have games going on. Have an experienced ref talking in the ear of an unexperienced ref. They can help with position, where to watch, etc.

If you don't have games going on then cover positions, where to watch, communication (with your partner and the players).

Good luck.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by cingram
If you do some rules coverage I would say cover Fouls and Violations. Do a general coverage of all the Fouls and all the Violations that can be called (and their appropriate signals).

If you have more time, than you can go into a couple of the violations and the intricacies of them (travel...). Have your rule book handy and be able to find things quickly.

As for on court work - It may be useful to try and do a shadow program if you have games going on. Have an experienced ref talking in the ear of an unexperienced ref. They can help with position, where to watch, etc.

If you don't have games going on then cover positions, where to watch, communication (with your partner and the players).

Good luck.
i agree with Christina, mostly. I would spend some time on myths, too, though. That's helpful for every ref in the country. (consistency and all that). ALso, if you have any sway with the board, you might try to get a 5 minute session before each game with parents to talk about myths, and what's real. Maybe your newest refs shouldn't be the ones to give these talks, but if you have enough experienced refs to do these, they would help both the new refs, and the old ones.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by cingram

Good luck.
i agree with Christina, mostly. I would spend some time on myths, too, though. That's helpful for every ref in the country. (consistency and all that). ALso, if you have any sway with the board, you might try to get a 5 minute session before each game with parents to talk about myths, and what's real. Maybe your newest refs shouldn't be the ones to give these talks, but if you have enough experienced refs to do these, they would help both the new refs, and the old ones.
If he has enough sway with the board to gather the parents he should forget about discussing rules, myths or not.

He should just tell them there's no place for unsporting behavior from the "adults" towards the kids playing or officiating the games. And that the league directors will back this by removing any and all violators.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Transitions down the court.

It does no good to have refs who are perfectly positioned up until a turnover . . .