The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   neat learning experience (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/15449-neat-learning-experience.html)

ChrisSportsFan Mon Sep 20, 2004 08:35am

Saturday evening I had the opportunity and I took it to work a game with a 29 year veteran. This fella works playoffs for both basketball and baseball and I tried to really put on my "learning cap". I still can't believe how easy it was to work this game.

1. dead ball..tweet..(call subs in)..Chris, I've got 2 red subs coming in.
2. while he was lead made comments like.."straight up on the post".."in & out".. really helped communicate with players that he wanted a clean game. After listening to him, I realize that his tone is much different then my ordering tone.
3. He overall talked his way thru the game and I don't ever remember that many players, coaches and parents offer appreciation for the job we did as officials.

While I try to have alot of communication with my partners and with players, I am really going to use this experience to take it to the next level. I'm grateful to have had this opportunity to examine my skills and recognize things I can work on.

ChuckElias Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:30am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
I'm grateful to have had this opportunity to examine my skills and recognize things I can work on.
Make sure you buy him a Diet Coke next time everybody gathers at the pub.

Glad it was such a positive.

Robmoz Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:45am

Nice examples...good game management skills. I try to verbalize during a game, too.

We have had some disussions here about some that talk too much during a game and the opinions were strong at times. I prefer to offer a short phrase of direction or comment to facilitate the players instead of blowing the whistle for those things that slow the game down (i.e. the post play contact, 3 seconds movement, free throw reminders, etc.) This is not the same as giving warnings and second chances which some guys do way too much instead making the call. I am referring to the simple preemptive communication that helps you control the game.

zebraman Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:53am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Saturday evening I had the opportunity and I took it to work a game with a 29 year veteran. This fella works playoffs for both basketball and baseball and I tried to really put on my "learning cap". I still can't believe how easy it was to work this game.

1. dead ball..tweet..(call subs in)..Chris, I've got 2 red subs coming in.
2. while he was lead made comments like.."straight up on the post".."in & out".. really helped communicate with players that he wanted a clean game. After listening to him, I realize that his tone is much different then my ordering tone.
3. He overall talked his way thru the game and I don't ever remember that many players, coaches and parents offer appreciation for the job we did as officials.

While I try to have alot of communication with my partners and with players, I am really going to use this experience to take it to the next level. I'm grateful to have had this opportunity to examine my skills and recognize things I can work on.

Chris,

Sounds like he communicated with you (his partner) beautifully. That is always a good thing.

I would caution you to avoid too much talking to players however. An occasional "talking through the whistle" might be appropriate, but if loses effectiveness if overdone.

Z

ChrisSportsFan Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:03am

Z, I agree completely, too much talking is a waste of breath. That's what I have to watch because somedays it seems that I'm chasing people out of the lane every trip down and not hitting them with the violation. That's why this game seemed so helpful because he offered some pre-whistle communication. They either listened or didn't, and were whistled accordingly.

Some games it seems like you really have to work hard at and some are easy, reguardless of the # of whistles for foulds/violations. (we had plenty of both) This one was easy and I hope I am that type of partner to work with.