The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 06:00am
Official Forum Member

I worked my second varsity game, and while the game went well there was a rule that the visiting coach questioned me on, and when I explained, he insisted there was no such rule. The exact situation is covered in the NFHS Case Book on page 41 rule 50.10.1 situation B in the comment section, what I refer to as the "lag" rule.

My question is, now that the game is over (the visiting team won), should I attempt to contact the coach, most likely through the athletic director, to cite the rule book and the case book to support my position in our discussion? Is there anything to gain?
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jizznak
I worked my second varsity game,
Was this recently? Who is playing HS varsity games in the first week of September? Just curious.

Quote:
The exact situation is covered in the NFHS Case Book on page 41 rule 50.10.1 situation B in the comment section
I don't have my book in front of me, but do you mean case 5.10.1?

Quote:
should I attempt to contact the coach,

No, unless you would see him (or contact him) in the normal course of your day. Like if you worked in the same office.

Quote:
Is there anything to gain?
Not a dextering thing. You were right, leave it at that. JMO. Welcome to the board!
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Was this recently? Who is playing HS varsity games in the first week of September? Just curious.

It was last night, I'm in Michigan, and for now our girls play in the fall, boys in the winter.

I don't have my book in front of me, but do you mean case 5.10.1?

Yes, sorry, and thanks for the advice.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Are the refs really burned out after the boy's season?
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Are the refs really burned out after the boy's season?

No
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

i was from michigan originally before i moved to kentucky...i loved the girls being first during boys football season, then the boys played the winter session and the girls played volleyball...it worked out great...you can kinda treat girls season as a tune up for getting in shape for the boys season..not saying you don't have to work hard during girls, you just don't have to move as fast.. i would love that if everyone would do that...i think it would give the schools an easier time scheduling, and does limit the amount of games that need to be covered by officials...this would help in the places where they have official shortages..like here in eastern kentucky..there are nights where we have to call a double header, girls varsity and then boys varsity...and on most nights we do call the jv and the varsity (boys or girls) double pay but it makes for a long night...especially on the big game nights...which we try to refrain from doing it on those nights...most of the time
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
i was from michigan originally before i moved to kentucky...i loved the girls being first during boys football season, then the boys played the winter session and the girls played volleyball...it worked out great...you can kinda treat girls season as a tune up for getting in shape for the boys season..not saying you don't have to work hard during girls, you just don't have to move as fast.. i would love that if everyone would do that...i think it would give the schools an easier time scheduling, and does limit the amount of games that need to be covered by officials...this would help in the places where they have official shortages..like here in eastern kentucky..there are nights where we have to call a double header, girls varsity and then boys varsity...and on most nights we do call the jv and the varsity (boys or girls) double pay but it makes for a long night...especially on the big game nights...which we try to refrain from doing it on those nights...most of the time
I don't see how it helps with official shortages. Many officials work several sports. By spliting the basketball seasons like that the b-ball officials that do football won't be doing the girl's b-ball and those less fit would probably do volleyball over the boy's b-ball.

It makes more sense to run the volleyball with the football and keep the basketball together, which is probably why most of the country does it.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 12:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

I can tell you it would not help to work it that way in my area. Not only is football a pretty big sport around here, there would be basketball officials that only work boy's basketball that would not even try to cover a girl's season during the fall. We have assignors that only assign boy's or girl's basketball, but not both. So the many assignors would not use the same officials, at least for the varsity level. There are very few that are successful at both. Considering that I do work football, I would not even entertain working girl's basketball during the football season. I know I would not be the only one either. They need to stay in the same season.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

if you look at it that way it is understandable that keeping them how it is, is better for most....but for us here in eastern ky (14th), only 3 or 4 of us do football and there are not enough officials to do both girls and boys hoops at the same time...i wasn't saying it was better for everyone, just for our situation...sorry for the misunderstanding....