The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 03:53pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by sleebo
Sorry to interrupt all of the interesting exchanges between Downtown and Bushref, but I heard a talk given by Women's Final Four and WNBA official Lisa Mattingly last year in which she said that you always know you are in trouble if the two teams pray before the game. Sad, but true...
That's really unfortunate to hear.

I best call I've ever made was to put my trust in Christ.

I say a prayer just before the beginning of every game I officiate. Do the teams think less of my abilities if they see me say a prayer?
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 05:29pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by sleebo
Sorry to interrupt all of the interesting exchanges between Downtown and Bushref, but I heard a talk given by Women's Final Four and WNBA official Lisa Mattingly last year in which she said that you always know you are in trouble if the two teams pray before the game. Sad, but true...

The first two years(1982-84) we were married we lived in Glendale, CA. Even back then one could officiate basketball almost year round. Back then the going rate for men's recreational basketball was $7 or $8 a game. One Saturday aftern, one of my basketball officiating buddies called me and wanted to know if I wanted to make an easy $45 officiating 3 men's church league games the next afternoon. Of course I jumped at the chance to make that kind of money. Boy did I earn my money that afternoon. The two teams met at center court prior to each game and said a prayer, and then as soon as the ball was tossed, all Hell broke loose. It was nothing but adult men fighting and swearing with each other at the officials with everybody stopping to play basketball once in awhile. I laugh about it now, but what an afternoon that was. There was good reason the game fee was $15 per game, no one would officiate a second Sunday afternoon.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio