The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Standing in front of free throw line (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/15121-standing-front-free-throw-line.html)

Bizket786 Thu Aug 26, 2004 05:17pm

Let's say A1 is shooting a free throw and A1 is standing in front of the free throw line when he receives the ball he takes a few dribbles and then realizes he is in front of the free throw line he then backs up to the free throw line and takes his shot.

Is this a violation?

Bizket786 Thu Aug 26, 2004 05:28pm

well okay lets say that the administering official did give A1 the ball while he was behind the free throw line but for some reason or another A1 decided to move up for some reason and then A1 realizes he is in front of the free throw line and moves back

Stan Thu Aug 26, 2004 06:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Bizket786
Let's say A1 is shooting a free throw and A1 is standing in front of the free throw line when he receives the ball he takes a few dribbles and then realizes he is in front of the free throw line he then backs up to the free throw line and takes his shot.

Is this a violation?

No violaition. rule 9-1-1 "the try shall be attempted from... behind the free throw line" rule 9-1-7 is essentially the same. Case book 9.1.7 says that once in the semi-circle and behind the line and they have the ball, they can't leave those confines. Your situation sounds like a mutual goof. Smile and play ball.

Stan

Mark Dexter Thu Aug 26, 2004 06:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Stan

No violaition. rule 9-1-1 "the try shall be attempted from... behind the free throw line" rule 9-1-7 is essentially the same. Case book 9.1.7 says that once in the semi-circle and behind the line and they have the ball, they can't leave those confines. Your situation sounds like a mutual goof. Smile and play ball.

Stan

Stan - that rule spells out pretty clearly that you must be behind the line. If you're in front of it, no try - violation.

Stan Thu Aug 26, 2004 07:05pm

Quote:

[i]Originally posted by Mark Dexter

Stan - that rule spells out pretty clearly that you must be behind the line. If you're in front of it, no try - violation. [/B]
Mark, You're correct as usual. that's what I get for not reading the entire rule-section-article.

The situation is like putting the ball in play with more than five players for one team on the court. Preventative officiating goes a long way

Thanks, Stan

JRutledge Thu Aug 26, 2004 08:09pm

Is it obvious?

The question is how obvious is his foot on the line. If it is a matter of centimeters, I might just pass.

Peace

Oz Referee Thu Aug 26, 2004 09:03pm

Mmmm...perhaps you mean if it is a matter of millimetres you may pass?

PS2Man Thu Aug 26, 2004 09:53pm

This should not happen.

The administering official should make sure the player is not in that position in the first place. You will never have to worry about how to apply the rule if you do not put yourself in that situation.

Just my two cents.

Adam Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:28pm

Oz,
Millimeters, centimeters, what's the difference? :D

All that Metric stuff is Greek to me.

bob jenkins Fri Aug 27, 2004 07:42am

Although the correct answers have been given, let me add that if the player steps over the line because of confusion (multiple lines on the floor), I'm just starting over.

Mark Dexter Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:13am

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
Oz,
Millimeters, centimeters, what's the difference? :D

All that Metric stuff is Greek to me.

Eh. Just an order of magnitude. :p