The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

O.K. guys/gals, here's one that I should know, but I'm not quite sure about. Do ALL technical fouls (whether assessed to a player, a coach, the bench, etc.) accumulate as team fouls also? Or are there exceptions? Thanks ahead of time for the information. Oh, and I'm referring to NFHS rules in each of the following cases.

Case 1: An administrative technical foul is given to team A for providing incorrect numbers in the book---start the game with one team foul?

Case 2: Player B1 dunks during warmups---start the game with one team foul?

Case 3: The coach of team A commits an unsportsmanlike act---add a team foul to team A's total?

Case 4: Team B's trainer throws a towel onto the floor to show disgust with an official's call---add a team foul to Team B's total?

If the answers are different for any of these scenarios, please explain and thanks again.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 10:16pm
In Memoriam

Question Do you have a Rule book?

Quote:
Originally posted by Pirate
O.K. guys/gals, here's one that I should know, but I'm not quite sure about. Do ALL technical fouls (whether assessed to a player, a coach, the bench, etc.) accumulate as team fouls also? Or are there exceptions? Thanks ahead of time for the information. Oh, and I'm referring to NFHS rules in each of the following cases.

Case 1: An administrative technical foul is given to team A for providing incorrect numbers in the book---start the game with one team foul?

Case 2: Player B1 dunks during warmups---start the game with one team foul?

Case 3: The coach of team A commits an unsportsmanlike act---add a team foul to team A's total?

Case 4: Team B's trainer throws a towel onto the floor to show disgust with an official's call---add a team foul to Team B's total?

If the answers are different for any of these scenarios, please explain and thanks again.
Pirate,
If you have a Rule Book. Check out Page 72. - Technical Foul Penalty Summary.
mick
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Mick:

I believe you are misunderstanding my question. I'm not asking which T's are team technicals, player technicals, or direct technicals to the coach etc. I'm simply asking which technicals apply to the team foul count for the offending team.

Example 1: A1 lips off to the umpire and gets dinged---a technical foul to A1 which also goes as a personal foul to A1 and a team foul to team A.

Example 2: Coach of team A lips off to the referee and gets dinged---a direct technical to the coach of team A. Does this T also go as a team foul against team A?
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

If I am not mistaken, all of them would count as a team foul. I do not have my rule book handy, but it seems to me to be that way. Check your book, and see if I am wrong. As I have always understood it, any tech gets counted as a team foul.
Matt
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

MattRef:

I can't seem to find in the rule book where it mentions which T's (or all T's) are also team fouls. Thanks for your two cents though.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 07:19am
In Memoriam

Rule 4-19-12 ...A team foul is any personal foul or technical foul which is charged to either team. All team fouls are counted to reach the bonus free throw.

If a technical foul is charged to a bench player, or an assistant coach where an indirect technical is also given to the head coach, then record only one additional team foul, not two. Indirect Technicals are not team fouls, because the act which precipitated the indirect foul is charged as a team foul.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

In fed, all T's are team fouls for bonus purposes.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Glad You Asked

Pirate,

Your question made me look in the Rule Book yet again. Another reason why we value this board so highly.

Further reinforcement for what's already been said comes from
NFHS Rule 4-8-2...Player-control fouls and technical fouls are counted as team fouls to reach the bonus.

Sven
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the clarification guys!