The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   DOUBLE FOUL???? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/14965-double-foul.html)

mtbabo Sun Aug 15, 2004 05:48pm

With 8 seconds remaining on the shot clock player A1 releases the ball for a shot. The officials blows the whistle for a double foul on A2 and B2. The ball then goes in the basket from A1's shot. What is the procedure on this play if you are playing NCAA men's rules? The possession arrow favor team A.

ChuckElias Sun Aug 15, 2004 08:11pm

The ball is given to Team B for a throw-in anywhere along the endline. This is a rule change for this coming season. All double fouls will be administered by awarding the ball to the team in control at the time of the fouls. By interpretation, Team B is presumed to have control after the ball goes in the basket.

The AP arrow is no longer used in any double foul situation (personal or technical) for men's NCAA games.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
The ball is given to Team B for a throw-in anywhere along the endline. This is a rule change for this coming season. All double fouls will be administered by awarding the ball to the team in control at the time of the fouls. By interpretation, Team B is presumed to have control after the ball goes in the basket.

The AP arrow is no longer used in any double foul situation (personal or technical) for men's NCAA games.

Chuck:

What if A1's attempt is not successful. Remember, there was no team control when the double foul by A2 and B2 occured. I do not have a copy of my IAABO Sportorial with the NCAA changes in front of me, but it seems to me that there is going to have to be some sort of exception to the rule, when A1's attempt is not successful. I will look for my Sportorial tomorrow morning and re-read the NCAA changes.

MTD, Sr.

Oz Referee Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Chuck:

What if A1's attempt is not successful. Remember, there was no team control when the double foul by A2 and B2 occured. I do not have a copy of my IAABO Sportorial with the NCAA changes in front of me, but it seems to me that there is going to have to be some sort of exception to the rule, when A1's attempt is not successful. I will look for my Sportorial tomorrow morning and re-read the NCAA changes.

MTD, Sr.

And this is also now the same in FIBA. IF the shot was unsuccessful, and possession had not been established, play would resume by going to the arrow.

ChuckElias Mon Aug 16, 2004 09:29am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Chuck:

What if A1's attempt is not successful. Remember, there was no team control when the double foul by A2 and B2 occured.

Mark, you're right, of course. My comment above should've read:

Quote:

In all men's NCAA games, the AP arrow is no longer used in any double foul situation (personal or technical) when team control exists.
It used to be that for double personals (with team control) you gave it back to the team in control; but for double T's you went to the arrow. Now they're all going back to the team in control, when there IS team control.

Great point, Mark.

mtbabo Mon Aug 16, 2004 08:54pm

Ball still in hand

What would the ruling be if A1 had not released the ball for a try when the whistle went for the double foul.

Jay R Mon Aug 16, 2004 09:02pm

Re: Ball still in hand

Quote:

Originally posted by mtbabo
What would the ruling be if A1 had not released the ball for a try when the whistle went for the double foul.
A1 still has control, thus Team A retains the ball with no reset of the shot clock.