The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   First Meeting (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/14932-first-meeting.html)

brandan89 Thu Aug 12, 2004 02:52am

I am going to my first meeting, Sunday the 22. I am just wonder what do you guys/gals usally do at meetings first meetings at that? Any help would be great. Thanks

Nevadaref Thu Aug 12, 2004 03:03am

Sleep.

Jurassic Referee Thu Aug 12, 2004 05:37am

Listen very closely. If in doubt, ask.

mick Thu Aug 12, 2004 05:46am

Smile.
Don't talk about yourself or your old war stories.

Dan_ref Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:40am

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Smile.

You think Brandan is old enough to have any old war stories?

mick Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:13am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Smile.

You think Brandan is old enough to have any old war stories?

Probably not, Dan.
I should have said something else, ... like to not get in a one-upsmanship experience dialogue. :)

mick

JugglingReferee Thu Aug 12, 2004 03:29pm

I like to play Tetris on my Palm Pilot Organizer.

OverAndBack Thu Aug 12, 2004 03:33pm

Quote:

Originally posted by brandan89
I am going to my first meeting, Sunday the 22. I am just wonder what do you guys/gals usally do at meetings first meetings at that? Any help would be great. Thanks

First, you stand up and say, "Hi, my name is Brandan, and I'm an alcoholic."

Then everyone says "Hi, Brandan!"

Then you have to admit that you are powerless over your addiction...

Oh, wait, wrong meeting.

ref18 Thu Aug 12, 2004 08:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
I like to play Tetris on my Palm Pilot Organizer.
:D

It's situations like this that make me glad that I bought a cell phone with games. Another good thing for us students to do is homework. If you sit far enough back it just looks like you're taking notes. ;)

SavaahnTy Thu Aug 12, 2004 09:43pm

Introduce yourself around, and if you have them in mind already, tell people what your aspirations are so that they can introduce you to the same type of people.

Good Luck! I will be attending a few meetings as a " new to the area " offial myself soon :)

footlocker Fri Aug 13, 2004 01:51am

seriously

Brandan-

These comments are coming from guys that have been to many of these meetings. I'm not sure how the meetings are in your area versus mine. However, the reality is that you are new to this and will be trying to improve yourself and likely want to be moving up. Pay attention in the meeting. Bring a notebook so you can jot down questions or useful points. You may also want to write down the names of those that are speaking- they are likely the leaders in your association (and the ones that control your promotions). Dress appropriately and find someone that has already taken an interest in mentoring you; allow that person to introduce you to other relavent refs. Never say anything negative about anyone (you never know who they know.)

Once you get your questions you can ask someone you know there or bring them here. Good luck.

brandan89 Fri Aug 13, 2004 02:31am

Dress appropriately??? What do you have to wear
?

JRutledge Fri Aug 13, 2004 03:46am

Quote:

Originally posted by brandan89
Dress appropriately??? What do you have to wear
?

He got me there too. Not sure what that means. But in a officials meeting, you wear whatever you are comfrontable unless otherwise stated. I might show up to my meetings in a T-Shirt and some sweatpants. Or if I come from directly from my job, I might be dressed in business casual or a suit. It just depends on where I am coming from. But not sure what an association would expect. We have guys that are contractors and trade workers that are not going to come in anything special.

Peace

whistleone Fri Aug 13, 2004 02:03pm

It's hard to go wrong with business casual (khakis and a polo). Be sure to take your schedule for the year, rule books and something to take notes on. Young officials can usually score points by looking like they care about officiating. If you haven't learned by now, appearance plays a huge role in our "hobby".

footlocker Fri Aug 13, 2004 04:12pm

response

whistleone put it well.

Dress appropriately means just that. If you want to be taken seriously here you may want to show the veterans and decision makers that you respect the process enough to wear something clean and neat (business casual is appropriate for our meetings). I wouldn't come to a meeting in sweats and a t-shirt. That is me. I don't judge those that do, but I don't want to give fuel for others to judge me. Just some friendly advise. If you (or anyone) find that this is appropriate for them, fine too.:)