The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   This ain't the big leagues, Mr. Clemens (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/14818-aint-big-leagues-mr-clemens.html)

Adam Mon Aug 02, 2004 04:28pm

Clemens Tossed Out of Son's Baseball Game
Monday, August 02, 2004

CRAIG, Colo. — Houston Astros pitcher Roger Clemens (search) was asked to leave a youth baseball game over the weekend for arguing a close call that went against his son's team.

Clemens was at the game Saturday watching his son, Kacy, compete in a 10-and-under game organized by Triple Crown Sports when Clemens contested a call at second base that went against the Katy Cowboys (search).

He spit sunflower seeds at an umpire's leg and was asked to leave, said Jim Carpenter, a field supervisor with Triple Crown.

"I supported the umpire's decision and he [Clemens] respectfully left," Carpenter told the Craig Daily Press.

Katy lost the game to the Bakersfield Curve (search), 11-5.

Triple Crown Sports features a franchise system aimed at pitting top teams from across the country against each other.

Clemens' agent, Randall Hendricks, did not immediately return a call Monday. Clemens has racked up 322 wins and 4,240 strikeouts in his 21-year major league career.

Jimgolf Fri Aug 06, 2004 07:34am

Clemens given apology for Little League spat
Ben Walker / Associated Press
Posted: 8 hours ago

Roger Clemens was given an emphatic apology Thursday for "unjustly" being ejected from his 10-year-old son's baseball game last weekend in Colorado.

David King, president of tournament organizer Triple Crown Sports, said "Mr. Clemens was a non-aggressor and a victim of mistaken identity and confusion" by an upset umpire.
Clemens was asked to leave son Kacy's game Saturday in Craig, Colo., when a 22-year-old ump said the Houston Astros pitcher spit a sunflower seed at him. Moments earlier, Kacy was called out on a stolen base attempt - the fielder later admitted he missed the tag - and the Rocket watched the rest of the contest from a parking lot.

"Mr. Clemens never raised his voice, never physically confronted our official, nor was he ever on the field of play," King said in a written statement, underlining those words.

"Mr. Clemens was unjustly asked to leave the field of play," King said. "For all of this, we apologize to Mr. Clemens."

King spoke to the future Hall of Famer by telephone to apologize personally.

"I'm pleased with their statement," Clemens said through agent Alan Hendricks before Houston played Atlanta.

Earlier this week, Clemens became upset when discussing the episode, saying, "This is a shame and it's not even an issue."

Clemens was away from the Astros, as his deal with the team allows when he's not pitching, to watch his son play for the Katy (Texas) Cowboys in a 10-and-under tournament.

Clemens was sitting on a bucket, behind a fence near the first base dugout, when Kacy was called out at second base in the middle innings of a game the Bakersfield (Calif.) Curve won 11-5.

The Katy coaches and fans complained about the call, but witnesses said Clemens never said a word. The umpire came over to quiet the ruckus, and said he was hit in the pants cuff by a sunflower seed spit by Clemens.

Clemens left without an argument and said "he didn't want to be distraction and to let the boys play ball," Katy manager Doug Hanson said.

King said the Katy coaches were contesting the call and "our official was upset and angered and approached the area to remove someone. In our official's judgment, a seed had come from the area during the coaches' arguments.

"After reviewing the situation, including the location of the official, it is impossible to believe that a seed was spit at our official by Roger Clemens or anyone."

King also praised Clemens for talking to the young players, parents and coaches and signing lots of autographs.

"I have nothing but good things to say about Roger Clemens," King said later.

King did not identify the young umpire, but said he was a schoolteacher and in his seventh year of calling games.

"With all the complaining the Katy coaches were doing, one of them probably deserved to be gone," King said. "But the vision and the reality, it took it in a direction that didn't happen."

OverAndBack Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:49am

My son's eleven and just got done playing his first season of organized baseball.

I can't for the life of me imagine complaining for more than about three seconds about a call an umpire made in one of his games.

Even moreso if he was ten.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with Roger Clemens, I'm just sayin'. Anybody who takes 10-year-old baseball that seriously has to do some serious re-evaluating about why they're involved with it.

BktBallRef Fri Aug 06, 2004 07:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by OverAndBack
My son's eleven and just got done playing his first season of organized baseball.

I can't for the life of me imagine complaining for more than about three seconds about a call an umpire made in one of his games.

Why would you complain at all?

rainmaker Fri Aug 06, 2004 09:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Because he's parent. It's the hat thing.

BktBallRef Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm...so am I, but I can take the hat off in this situation. Can't you?

OverAndBack Sat Aug 07, 2004 07:56am

When I said "complain," I meant I'd say "Oops, he missed that one. Awww. Darn it."

And that would be it. Mostly it's young guys out there doing the best they can umping a game by themselves.

BktBallRef Sat Aug 07, 2004 08:15am

Quote:

When I said "complain," I meant I'd say "Oops, he missed that one. Awww. Darn it."

And that would be it. Mostly it's young guys out there doing the best they can umping a game by themselves.

Good deal.

rainmaker Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:31pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, let's just say, I haven't always. And I'm not the only one with this problem.

oatmealqueen Sat Aug 07, 2004 08:34pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, let's just say, I haven't always. And I'm not the only one with this problem.

Fangirl ;)