The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   First 4A Varsity Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/148-first-4a-varsity-game.html)

Ed M Wed Dec 08, 1999 12:07pm

I am in my 2nd year of officiating basketball. I have been assigned to a 4A Boys Varsity game Friday night. This is my first varsity game at any level and it will be my first game using 3-man mechanics. I am looking for all the advice and help that I can get. Please let me hear from you.

Bradley Batt Wed Dec 08, 1999 05:28pm

Stay in your primary!
Referee the defense!
Trust your partner!
Call the obvious!

Not original - but it works!

Buckley Wed Dec 08, 1999 06:13pm

Brad's advice is very good. Along with "call the obvious", also, "avoid the ridiculous". Referee like you belong there. Do not be timid. We need young officials to step up. Don't expect for the veterans to call something just because they are veterans. Step up and make calls that have to be made. In fact, as veterans, we are trained to stay in our primary, so we will not come out of it to bail anyone out, unless of course it is 'assault'. Remember, you are not out there alone. As a crew, be consistent, see the same game, and SURVIVE!

Congrats on the game. Have fun. Respond on how it goes.

Good luck!

b_silliman Wed Dec 08, 1999 08:15pm

Congratulations on a varsity game in your 2nd year. Is 4A the highest level in your state?

All previous was good advice. Additional items:
1. Have fun
2. Let the kid decide the game.

Jerry Baldwin Thu Dec 09, 1999 08:06pm

Ed M, my congrats too. Young officials are needed and as you can tell supported by other officials. All advise above is good. There seems to be a thin line between confidence and arrogance. Be confident and don't worry if you don't call a perfect game, none of us has ever had one of those. In the first few minutes of the game watch your partners closely to see where the foul line is for the level of play. If all three officials are seeing the same game, it will make for a good night and will be lots of fun. Don't let the coach(s) rattle you. They will sometimes test the new kid on the floor, to see what your made of. Don't be thin skinned. If a coach or player accuses you of cheating, take care of business quickly and professionally. Remember there's only been one that was perfect and we crucified him. Good luck!!!

Mlancaster Fri Dec 10, 1999 12:07am

Don't be in a hurry. Make your preliminary signal and look to your partners..Be sure no othercals ahve been made. BE CONFIDENT!!

Richard Kreimer Fri Dec 10, 1999 01:35am

Great Going!
Try to remember this acronym - SODA
S - Protect the shooter
O - Call the Obvious
D - Referee the Defense
A - Call Your Area (Trust Your Partners)

Best of luck to you

Dave King Fri Dec 10, 1999 03:55pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Geneva">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard Kreimer on 12-10-1999 12:35 AM
Great Going!
Try to remember this acronym - SODA
S - Protect the shooter
O - Call the Obvious
D - Referee the Defense
A - Call Your Area (Trust Your Partners)

Best of luck to you<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard, Wouldn't this acronym be PCRC??

:-)

Richard Kreimer Fri Dec 10, 1999 05:26pm

It is very easy to remember, Shooter, Obvious, Defense , Area.

SODA