The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Our local assoc. here in central IN is inviting a few of the area varsity coaches to our meeting this Sunday. If anybody has a good question they've always wanted to ask a coach, let me have them!
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
HOW?!

I'm a coach using BigDave's computer.

My question is...

How do I get my head outta my a-s?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2001, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Just the standard.... How can you coach for this many years at this level and still not know the rules!? I know they love that one! Enjoy and good luck in the meeting.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2001, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Wink Coache's question

We had coaches at several of our meetings in the past . At one that I have never forgotten someone asked the coach what were the 3 most important characteristics he wanted to see in an official. The coach responded with no hesitation. " Iwant the officials to be Friendly (communicative) Fair and Firm!
Think about it - if you have mastered these 3 things you are well on your way to the higher levels.
Suggest you ask that question and see what you get;and report back to all of us on this forum the coach's answers. I'm sure we'd all be interested.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2001, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

How about asking what they think of the way points of emphasis are being handled and what they think POE should be for next year?
Old Sat Jan 13, 2001, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Friendly Fair and Firm

If coaches want us to be firm, then why do they always plead to try and change decisions?
Old Sat Jan 13, 2001, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

That would proably fall under the fair part most coaches just want the correct call like the another night TeamA has the ball under the basket ready to throw in my partner hands the ball to A1 who throws it to A2 shortly after this my partner calls 3 seconds on A4. Coach A thinks that there was not enough time for the three second count so I check with the scorer and find out 5 seconds had elasped. Coach A still was not happy abouth the call but went back to coaching his team.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2001, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Thumbs up

I believe that you should ask the coach's if we as Referee's are consistent ! Over the years that is the critism i hear the most, the coach's say we have two or three different views of the same game.

I am not saying the coach's are right, they would love to drive a wedge between partners but there is some validity to their comments.

Good Luck

PS
Let us know how it went.

Old Sat Jan 13, 2001, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Coaches at your meeting

I would like to know why coaches insist on helping us do our job by blurting out "traveling" or " and one".
We already have at least one partner.
I don't think they would like our input like better take a TO or your getting killed in that zone.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2001, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Coaches at your meeting

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
I would like to know why coaches insist on helping us do our job by blurting out "traveling" or " and one".
We already have at least one partner.
I don't think they would like our input like better take a TO or your getting killed in that zone.
On THursday, I submitted an article on this very subject to eumpire. If you're a member of ereferee, you can read it. I wrote it from a baseball perspective, but the same analogy applies to basketball (or any other sport). Unless they change my title, it's called, "You Dirty Rat". IT should be appearing on the website soon.