The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone know of any good basketball camps that are being held in August? Please let me know if you know of any as I want to get to one before this upcoming season. Thanks.
Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by gnrath
Does anyone know of any good basketball camps that are being held in August? Please let me know if you know of any as I want to get to one before this upcoming season. Thanks.
Any woman who has the nerve to jump on here deserves a good answer. But, unfortunately, Greta, there isn't one. I know of one in Seattle. But that may not be very close or convenient for you. Where in the US are you located? Also, how much experience do you have? We will be better able to track down info for you if we have a little info about you.
Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 01:35am
In Memoriam

According to her profile, Greta comes from WI- the Land of Rich. Maybe Rich can help her.
Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Wisconsin Ref

I live in WISCONSIN. Personally, I don't really have a preference on where the camp is located. I can assess the information once I get it. As for experience, I have only been a ref for 5 years. Most of those years have been spent at the Freshman, JV, and some varsity games. I have attended a camp every summer now except for last year as I was pregnant with my second child. ha ha I also did not ref last season either and want to get my mechanics back on track. I do a lot of summer high school tournaments to help me prepare but a camp would be so much more helpful and get my name out there. I hope to someday do college ball. So...what type of camp??? Well, beginning college or High School Varsity I guess to help you search.

Has anyone heard of Bruce Mason? I believe he's an official in Illinois and has a camp in August but can't seem to find any information on him. hmmmm Anyway, hopefully someone can get back to me about a camp. Thanks again.

Sincerely,
greta
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

August camps

They may be out of your geographical range but IAABO is having a camp 8/6 -8 in Boston. (Northeastern University) and Vermont Bd 105 has a camp 8/6, 7 & 8 at the University of Vermont.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

IAABO camps...

I saw those out there....I'm curious, is the camp a good one? I'm sure it is but just want to be sure I don't travel for the heck of it. ha ha ha

Thanks and I will look into those.

Sincerely,
greta
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Wisconsin Ref

Quote:
I live in WISCONSIN. Personally, I don't really have a preference on where the camp is located. I can assess the information once I get it. As for experience, I have only been a ref for 5 years. Most of those years have been spent at the Freshman, JV, and some varsity games. I have attended a camp every summer now except for last year as I was pregnant with my second child. ha ha I also did not ref last season either and want to get my mechanics back on track. I do a lot of summer high school tournaments to help me prepare but a camp would be so much more helpful and get my name out there. I hope to someday do college ball. So...what type of camp??? Well, beginning college or High School Varsity I guess to help you search.

Has anyone heard of Bruce Mason? I believe he's an official in Illinois and has a camp in August but can't seem to find any information on him. hmmmm Anyway, hopefully someone can get back to me about a camp. Thanks again.

Sincerely,
greta
Greta,

Your name sounds familiar but I'm not sure. I'm in Madison. I just got back from Step Ahead camp run by Dave Kelliher. It is advertised as a college mechanics and exposure camp but is also attended by the Associate Director for Basketball for WIAA who was there rating and observing. There were both mens and womens D3 Supervisors and assignors and one is an observer for NBA officials but in reality, most campers (at least on the mens side) were there for WIAA exposure. During the last 2 years, 16 officials that worked State attended the camp and since there was only 36 campers this year, that's a pretty good percentage. I believe Wisconsin will be going to 3-person for regionals and above w/in the next 2 years, so the 3 person mechanics are a big plus for that as well. If you want information, check the WIAA Bulletin next March for the camp next summer.

Mregor
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Re: Wisconsin Ref

Quote:
I live in WISCONSIN. .

Sincerely,
greta
Bruce Mason is the Coordinator of Womens Officials for the Missouri Valley Conference. He does hold a camp in Iowa in August. I believe it is an invitation only camp, but I am not 100% sure on that.