The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I did my two at the tournament today, and then was waiting before I left, to see if there would be a partner for the next game. One team was jumping up, and grabbing the rim in warm-ups, and coming close to dunking. These were varsity girls. This was the tallest high school girls' team I've ever seen. I doubt any of the players was under six feet except one little shorty. Tallest was probably 6-6 or 6-7, several were 6-4. My partner was staying for this game, so he went and told the coach to keep the girls off the rim. Coach says, "You're joking, right? None of my girls can do that." Just as she finished the sentence, another girl gets a good enough grip to pull the rim down and it goes BOING! just as she looks up. The coach looked at my partner to see if he was buying, which he wasn't, of course. So she had to go out and shut them down. First time I'd seen that!
Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 02:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Just as she finished the sentence, another girl gets a good enough grip to pull the rim down and it goes BOING! just as she looks up. The coach looked at my partner to see if he was buying, which he wasn't, of course. So she had to go out and shut them down. First time I'd seen that!
What do you mean by "shut them down"? Technical foul? Warning?
Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Just as she finished the sentence, another girl gets a good enough grip to pull the rim down and it goes BOING! just as she looks up. The coach looked at my partner to see if he was buying, which he wasn't, of course. So she had to go out and shut them down. First time I'd seen that!
"He" was the partner, he wasn't buying. "She" was the coach. She went out and stopped them. Partner warned, coach ended it. Sorry I wasn't more clear.
Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 09:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
"He" was the partner, he wasn't buying. "She" was the coach. She went out and stopped them. Partner warned, coach ended it. Sorry I wasn't more clear.
Juulie, is that how your association instructs you to deal with cases like that? Always give them a warning first before the "T"?
Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Juulie, is that how your association instructs you to deal with cases like that? Always give them a warning first before the "T"?
No, if it was a PBOA game, we'd have T'd them. But the summer leagues around here tend to be a little more lenient. And this is a national tournament playing under NCAAW rules. So the whole rules thing is a little dicey anyway. If it had been boys, we'd have "warned" before they started warming up. But it didn't occur to us to consider the girls dunking!
Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

We have 13-U girls AAU nationals in town this week. I'm guessing this won't be a problem in any of my games.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Please remember that attempting to dunk or grasping either basket in pre-game warm-ups are also offenses that warrant a technical foul.
I point this out because many people seem to believe that grabbing the rim or pulling on the net during warm-ups is OK. It's not.

The NFHS rules citation is 10-3-4.
NCAA rules are organized a little bit differently, so you will find this under 10-3-11, since you said this tourney was played with NCAAW rules.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Jul 12th, 2004 at 03:22 AM]
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Please sight the rule reference for NCAAW regarding pregame dunking. I think if you look you will see that the Women's game does not have a penalty for pregame dunking; therefore it is legal.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
NDRef is correct. The women's rule is that it is an indirect technical foul for any team member to dunk or attempt to dunk a dead ball during the game (10-3-12, Women). So pre-game dunking seems to be ok.

It is, however, still an indirect technical foul for the women if they grasp either basket during the officials' jurisdiction (which, of course, includes warm-ups if the officials are present) unless trying to avoid injury (10-3-11). So while the women are allowed to dunk in warm-ups, they're still not allowed to hang or swing from the rim to showboat.

In Juulie's sitch, the girls were "grabbing the rim". If it were a real game, even under NCAA rules, they should get whacked.

[Disclaimer: Please disregard the disclaimer below!]
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,

I agree with what you say. I just wanted to clarify Nevadaref's comment above about "attempting a dunk or grasping, etc." Only the grasping of the rim is a technical, as you stated.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 03:28am
Official Forum Member

NDRef,
You make a very astute point. Added to that is Chuck's agreement, so after carefully looking at 10-3-12 and AR 3 directly below, it is only with respect that I can ask a couple of questions.

1. Would you agree with defining "during the game" as something like from the time the ball first becomes live until it becomes dead either with the sounding of the horn that indicates the expiration of time in the final period or at the end of a try which was in flight when it sounded?

2. Since the dunk in AR 3 occurs after the game, but during the jurisdiction of the officials, shouldn't this only be punished in a mens' game? Yet, AR 3 is not indicated to be men only as is AR 4.
AR 4 seems to make it clear that pre-game dunks are only punished in mens' games, but the failure to specify a gender in AR 3 (on post-game dunks) indicates that this is punished in both mens' and womens' play. The logic of this escapes me. The rules should be that either a T CAN be called during the jurisdiction of the officials or it CANNOT; having it depend upon the distinction of before or after the game seems flimsy.