The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I'm working a tournament this weekend that's mostly NCAA women's rules, which I'm not real familiar with. The most important clarification I need right now is what the lane line-up is supposed to be. My partner claims to work D2 but I think (and four coaches agree with me for whatever that's worth) he's got the lane line up wrong. He says it should be four defense, two offense. I thought NCAA was three defense, two offense. Are NAIA rules different from NCAA, especially regarding lane line-up? Would that be why my partner is confused?

Also does what are the coaching and coaching box differences in NCAA compared to FED?

Thirdly, how do I estimate 3-feet for closely guarded? Is it going to be further than I expect, as 6 feet was further than I expected?
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

While we're at it, could someone give me a link to the NCAA rules page? I tried to hunt it down on my own, but my Luddite genetics kicked in bigtime.
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 07:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Here it goes.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I'm working a tournament this weekend that's mostly NCAA women's rules, which I'm not real familiar with. The most important clarification I need right now is what the lane line-up is supposed to be. My partner claims to work D2 but I think (and four coaches agree with me for whatever that's worth) he's got the lane line up wrong. He says it should be four defense, two offense. I thought NCAA was three defense, two offense. Are NAIA rules different from NCAA, especially regarding lane line-up? Would that be why my partner is confused?
Exactly the same lineup as in the NF, but they do not use the lower block or the blocks closer to the basket. Your partner was correct.

Quote:
Also does what are the coaching and coaching box differences in NCAA compared to FED?
The NCAA has the entire sideline up until the 28 foot mark. Not sure that will be a major issue in the game you will be officiating, but that is the rule.

Quote:
Thirdly, how do I estimate 3-feet for closely guarded? Is it going to be further than I expect, as 6 feet was further than I expected?
Judgment. Use the same markers on the court. Just cut that in half. It is really not that much of an issue anyway in NCAA Women's Rules. The only time you can have a closely guarded situation is when the ball handler is holding the ball. And remember you can have closely guarded in the backcourt as well.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 07:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
While we're at it, could someone give me a link to the NCAA rules page? I tried to hunt it down on my own, but my Luddite genetics kicked in bigtime.

NCAA Rules

Hope this helps. You can download the rules to your Adobe Reader files and go thru all the rules without the paper version.

Peace

Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Here it goes.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Exactly the same lineup as in the NF, but they do not use the lower block or the blocks closer to the basket. Your partner was correct.
So, is that a recent change? I'm distinctly remembering a 3-and-2 line-up from watching on TV.
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the help, Jeff. I really appreciate it. Especially so fast!

Oh, and by the way, just so no one feels uncomfortable with the honest expression of positive emotions, your mother is a hamster and your father stinks of elderberries!
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 07:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up You are something else Juulie.

Quote:

Oh, and by the way, just so no one feels uncomfortable with the honest expression of positive emotions, your mother is a hamster and your father stinks of elderberries!
Too Funny

Peace
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Here it goes.

Quote:
So, is that a recent change? I'm distinctly remembering a 3-and-2 line-up from watching on TV.
The 3-and-2 line-up is from the NBA. Can't speak for the WNBA.

The other major difference in the coaching box rules, Juulie, is that the head coach does not lose the coaching box privileges, even if assessed a direct technical foul. There's no seat belt rule in NCAA.
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal, food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction.

BTW, before I get accused of making off topic posts, this will be the preferred warning for coaches in the 2004/2005 season.
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal, food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction.

BTW, before I get accused of making off topic posts, this will be the preferred warning for coaches in the 2004/2005 season.
And, kids, don't try this at home!
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Here it goes.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
The 3-and-2 line-up is from the NBA. Can't speak for the WNBA.
Well, I know I've seen it, but that doesn't have to mean that it's required. COuld have been just that someone didn't want into that top spot. Hmmmm...

It's 45 and raining in U.P. and a ref is quoting something seen on TV as gospel so....

what's gonna happen tomorrow?

Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 09:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Hey Juulie - guess what the free throw lineup is in the ABA?
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Hey Juulie - guess what the free throw lineup is in the ABA?
I give up.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 03:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Three feet = about 1/2 of player's height, so if offense is within a little more than arm's reach of defender, they are within three feet.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 05:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Re: Re: Here it goes.

Quote:
So, is that a recent change? I'm distinctly remembering a 3-and-2 line-up from watching on TV. [/B]
It's been 4 and 2 since they went to the above-the-block lineup, which I think was two years ago.

Small point: a defensive player is not allowed to slide down if the second spot is not occupied by an offensive player.