The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Finally - pro rules that make sense (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/14342-finally-pro-rules-make-sense.html)

Mark Padgett Sat Jun 26, 2004 08:38pm

I don't know how much any of you know about the "new" ABA, but they are expanding from seven to thirty-two teams this upcoming season. The ABA is a "minor" league that competes with the CBA, USBL and others. They have some rules that are really cool.

3D rule: if a team commits a turnover in its backcourt, the other team gets an extra point if it scores on the subsequent possession. If they are fouled, they get an extra free throw. This is to encourage pressing.

Super bonus rule: once a team gets into the super bonus (10th team foul on the opponent in a half), they have the option of shooting the free throws or taking a 3 point shot! If they choose the 3 pointer, the players line up on the lane just like a free throw and the ball is live on a miss. Not only that, but anyone on the team can take the shot, not just the player that was fouled.

Basket interference: there is none, either by the offense or the defense. Once the ball touches the rim, it's fresh meat.

For more, go to http://www.abalive.com. Oh yeah - they use the red, white and blue ball.

[Edited by Mark Padgett on Jun 26th, 2004 at 09:40 PM]

Stan Sat Jun 26, 2004 08:46pm

The 3-D Rule:
When a team loses possession of the ball while it is in the backcourt, the 3-D rule is in effect: one additional point is added to the point value of the field goal. In other words, 2-point baskets count as three, three as four, and four as five.

How do we get 4 point baskets, Oh, OK, this is a joke?

BktBallRef Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:42pm

I once went to the circus, when I was a kid. Sounds like these folks are living a circus.

stratref Sun Jun 27, 2004 06:22am

I have talked to a friend of mine that officiated in the ABL and talked about officiating in it, if you are interested in that discussion let me know and I will post, otherwise the 4 point shot is one taken from beyond half court. And how would you get on the other side of half court by stealing the ball in the backcourt? The 3-D rule goes into effect if the ball is stolen before the team touches the ball in their front court, so a long pass intercepted in team A front court could then be stolen leaving the ball in team B's possession in their backcourt allowing for the 4 pointer, now worth 5 points.

Jasper

PAULK1 Sun Jun 27, 2004 09:29am

Quote:

I once went to the circus, when I was a kid. Sounds like these folks are living a circus.
Thats what was said back in the 70's when the ABA introduced
the 3 PT shot and other things you see today in basketball.

w_sohl Sun Jun 27, 2004 09:40am

Quote:

Originally posted by stratref
I have talked to a friend of mine that officiated in the ABL and talked about officiating in it, if you are interested in that discussion let me know and I will post, otherwise the 4 point shot is one taken from beyond half court. And how would you get on the other side of half court by stealing the ball in the backcourt? The 3-D rule goes into effect if the ball is stolen before the team touches the ball in their front court, so a long pass intercepted in team A front court could then be stolen leaving the ball in team B's possession in their backcourt allowing for the 4 pointer, now worth 5 points.

Jasper

Show the link....

Mark Padgett Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally posted by PAULK1
Quote:

Thats what was said back in the 70's when the ABA introduced
the 3 PT shot and other things you see today in basketball.

Yeah - and also when they eliminated the center jump after every basket. I remember that - I had discussed this rule change with Dr. Naismith and he said "Gramps - that's a good idea".

rockyroad Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:50pm

There also kicking around a new idea for overtime - the 3-10 overtime...the first overtime is 3 minutes...then they play first team to 10 points - zero out the scoreboard, anyone who fouled out can play again, etc...kinda like that one!

stratref Mon Jun 28, 2004 04:25am

I'm sorry I don't have a link for that explaination. I would just assume that their website is for the average fan who as we know around here knows very little about the rules and their interpetertations. I like the 3-10 overtime idea, but I don't know where that is coming from because you say 'everyone fouled out can come back' well if you read the whole page you would have noticed that there is a no foul out rule, a 6th foul (and any subsequent foul for that matter) on a player just creates an extra free throw and the team fouled retains possession.

BTW I recently read an article about how basketball rules have changed from the origional and Nasmith HATED the elimation of the center jump after a basket. He considered it to be what the kickoff was to football.

Jasper

Mark Padgett Mon Jun 28, 2004 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by stratref
BTW I recently read an article about how basketball rules have changed from the origional and Nasmith HATED the elimation of the center jump after a basket. He considered it to be what the kickoff was to football.

Jasper

Yeah - that's what he told me after a game. However, at that time, teams only scored about 3 or 4 baskets per game.