The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Exclamation

What is some things you should check on the court before the game to make sure it is safe?
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 12:01am
Do not give a damn!!

There is really not anything you are going to check. Unless you notice something completely unusual, this will almost never be a problem. I would not go actively looking for anything in particular. But if you feel it is necessary, just look around the court and look at the baskets. But as I have said, this really is not a problem. The surroundings are usually safe.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Just check that there is no water on the court or anything like that. If there is nothing unusual, I think it will be all systems go
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Some courts have holes for volleyball posts, so you might want to check that none of the hardware is protruding or otherwise causing a risk. You should also check to make sure the lighting is adequate. If there are any issues, report them to game management and indicate on an incident report that you did so. CYA.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

I like to walk the court a couple of times

Before each game, I arrive early. I like to walk around the perimeter of the court at least twice looking at the floor mostly. I also notice if there are side goals protruding over court area, cables, things like that.

By walking around you get different perspectives and light on all areas of the court. It is not unusual to see small pieces of candy like skittles that could cause a slip, or paper from pom-poms. I have found short pencils and other small objects too.

This helps when we have the captain's meetings too especially to inform them that side goals hanging over the court are out of bounds.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

A lot depends on the facility & level of the game being played. At most HS games you can pretty much expect that game management will take care of things ahead of time & you'll have little to worry about.

At lower level games, however things can be a little different - some schools may for example, use the gym as a lunchroom also. Often the smaller facilities is where you will find things like side baskets that protrude into the court as previously mentioned.

In every case, I take a quick look for things like water/debris on the floor and overhead cables that may interfere. Game management needs to deal with the first, and the latter I discuss briefly with my partner to make sure we're on the same page.