The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rules differances betwenn boys and girls game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/142-rules-differances-betwenn-boys-girls-game.html)

bafor3 Thu Nov 25, 1999 02:58pm

Does anyone know where I can find a list of differances between the boys and girls game? If not can someone please tell me the major rules diferances. (shot clock, backcourt, other..?) I have reffed mostly boys games, but i have a girls freshamn team game next weekend and need some review, thanks!

------------------
Brent Ayres

Mark Padgett Thu Nov 25, 1999 04:36pm

[quote]Originally posted by bafor3 on 11-25-1999 01:58 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a list of differances between the boys and girls game? If not can someone please tell me the major rules diferances. (shot clock, backcourt, other..?) I have reffed mostly boys games, but i have a girls freshamn team game next weekend and need some review, thanks!

At the national level, there are no differences except for the size of the basketball. Some state associations legislate differences regarding issues such as shot clock, 10 second backcourt, etc. Without knowing what state you're in, no one can answer this question for you.

One difference I have found in the pregame, however, is that the girls have a tendency to have more stuff in their hair that needs to be removed http://www.ereferee.com/ubb/wink.gif

After writing the above, I checked your profile and see you are in Washington state. You can email Ron Pilo or someone else from Seattle for help. I work in Oregon and don't cross the Columbia River to ref because my visa has expired and I don't like changing my money at the border http://www.ereferee.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Mark Padgett (edited November 25, 1999).]

Richard Kreimer Thu Nov 25, 1999 07:53pm

I thought the only other country within the US was Texas.

bafor3 Sun Nov 28, 1999 11:21pm

Does anyone know where I can find a list of differances between the boys and girls game, pertaining to the washingtoon state, and or the WIAA? If not can someone please tell me the major rules diferances. (shot clock, backcourt, other..?) I have reffed mostly boys games, but i have a girls freshamn team game next weekend and need some review, thanks!

------------------
Brent Ayres

Tim Roden Mon Nov 29, 1999 01:16am

The only states I have ever been stopped at the borders are Arizona and California. So as far as I am concerned, Texas and Washington are still in the U.S. The only problem with Texas is you can cover 10 states on the east coast while you cross Texas going from El Paso to Waskom. Yes I have driven it and it took me 16 hours. To win a state championship there, you have done something. Regionals is like State anywhere else. And state can feel like international compitition. I did compete in the State Cross-Country meet in Texas. Don't ask how I did. Let's just say I got there with the team, not as an individual.

Back to boys verses girls. The last I checked the only difference at the high school level was the size of the ball. Some states do use a shot clock for girls, but look at the NCAA rules on how that is implimented.

Ralph Stubenthal Mon Nov 29, 1999 12:34pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Geneva">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard Kreimer on 11-25-1999 06:53 PM
I thought the only other country within the US was Texas.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's just the only one big enough to mention. But, you don't need a VISA to come to Texas because, once you're here, you won't want to leave anyway.

PublicBJ Wed Dec 08, 1999 10:02am

Having originally been from Washington, here are the main differences for girls:

1) Uses 30-second clock (you might want to review the state rules on this one)
2) No ten-second back-court count
3) No five-seconds closely guarded while dribbling the ball
4) Five seconds closely guarded while held ball applies on the whole court

And probably a couple others that I have forgotten. Ron Pilo would be an excellent resource to contact for Washington rules. His e-mail is: [email protected]

Tell him I sent ya....

------------------
Brian Johnson

ZEBRA7933 Wed Dec 08, 1999 11:16am

The only rule differences in the Federation (high school) is the ball. All other rules apply. Differences are in the college womens/mens games. Vast differences reguarding coverages at lead and many more.

------------------

corrinne Wed Dec 08, 1999 03:31pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Geneva">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bafor3 on 11-25-1999 01:58 PM
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

bafor3 - there's also a rule regarding defensive position on post play, hopefully my comment will generate the answer from a boy's official, something about resting the forearm on a player not being a foul as long as the arm is not bent??????

Mlancaster Fri Dec 10, 1999 12:22am

No difference between men and women on the court according to the national federation.
The only differences you will find is between national federation and women's NCAA...
ncaa...no back court 10 second, no 5 second count while dribbling.
as far as the arm on the player, this is somewhat discetionary. call a hand check if the forward progress of the ball handler is disrupted. otherwise, "let it go"...unless the leg is lso in play by the defense. "1 is ok, 2 is a foul".
s