The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
What would you do in a game situation where B coach tells you that A1 said, "B****, I'm going to F****** kill you!!" to B1?

Game sit: It has been a battle to keep this game under control and not have a fight. We had a lot of off ball whistles and were keeping it fairly clean. During time out in the second half the parents started fighting on the side line... Admin kicked them out and we ran over there to get the players, who just came out of their time out, back to their respective benches. On the way back A1 said that to B1. None of my crew heard her.

The other thing is I believed the coach! But could I have done anything because she said this?

(Girls V game at camp)

My two sense!
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
So that is what happened. I was wondering. If no one heard, make note of who said it, if that can be found out, and keep a tight whistle for the rest of the game. And pray if any killing is to happen, hope that it is not on your watch.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
What would you do in a game situation where B coach tells you that A1 said, "B****, I'm going to F****** kill you!!" to B1?

Game sit: It has been a battle to keep this game under control and not have a fight. We had a lot of off ball whistles and were keeping it fairly clean. During time out in the second half the parents started fighting on the side line... Admin kicked them out and we ran over there to get the players, who just came out of their time out, back to their respective benches. On the way back A1 said that to B1. None of my crew heard her.

The other thing is I believed the coach! But could I have done anything because she said this?

(Girls V game at camp)
If this happened without the fight I would be tempted to simply call coach A over & tell coach B to repeat what he just said. It's possible coach A will take offense but it's also possible coach A will listen & you 3 can figure out what happens next.

In any event the accusation is on the table where it belongs.

The fight makes this easier.

DQ everyone who got off the bench to join the "adult" fight, which obviously includes A1 & B1. Problem solved, although I'm not sure I would ocntinue a summer league game after all that anyway.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

(Girls V game at camp)
If this happened without the fight I would be tempted to simply call coach A over & tell coach B to repeat what he just said. It's possible coach A will take offense but it's also possible coach A will listen & you 3 can figure out what happens next.

In any event the accusation is on the table where it belongs.

The fight makes this easier.

DQ everyone who got off the bench to join the "adult" fight, which obviously includes A1 & B1. Problem solved, although I'm not sure I would ocntinue a summer league game after all that anyway.
We actually did end the game. They were allowed to come off the bench because we just beckoned them on the floor after the TO and then the "adult" fight started. What a fun night. No wonder the kids were acting that way since they have "great" role models.

My two sense!
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Welcome to the camp . . .

. . . I guess you all know why you're here.

Oh, whoops, guess not.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 12:50pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
If I was 100% sure that that is what I heard, I would eject right then and there. I don't care how old they are or what level of play it is there is no place for threats on ones life in a sporting event. Go take a shower and think about what you said.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

wsohl
The post said nobody on the crew heard it. I think we wold all agree with that action, if the refs were sure that was what they heard. In this case, the refs were 100% sure they didn't here it.

Doesn't sound like talking to the "adults" in this game would help either. Not a pretty game to be around.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 01:01pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
wsohl
The post said nobody on the crew heard it. I think we wold all agree with that action, if the refs were sure that was what they heard. In this case, the refs were 100% sure they didn't here it.

Doesn't sound like talking to the "adults" in this game would help either. Not a pretty game to be around.
My bad, guess I need to read more carefully.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Is it at all possible that this was not even a physical threat to the coach, but rather a comment about what "My team" is going to do to "your team"? It didn't sound that way, but I've heard coaches use the first person personal pronoun when talking about their teams to the other coach. (Grammar reference for Julie - I could have just referred to "I" )
In any case, it sounds like you did the right thing. If nobody on the crew heard it, and it doesn't show itself through any worse actions during the game, there' not much more I think you can or should do. And this is coming from a coach who likes to see officials do whatever is possible to help keep things under control.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

A 10th grader at my kids' HS was threatened while at school. This past weekend, while staying the night with a friend, acquaintenances "lured him outside" where he was subsequently beaten to death by a group of kids. I take these type of threats seriously, unless it is clearly some kind of joking around between two friends. This sounds like it was an ugly game, with adults fighting and all - I would take it seriously.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CYO Butch
Is it at all possible that this was not even a physical threat to the coach, but rather a comment about what "My team" is going to do to "your team"?
I don't understand what you are asking...

B1 told B coach that A1 said .... Then B coach told me what her player told her.

Would you get both coaches together at this point with one of your partners and discuss what was said and let them know that any "looks", talking, ect. would be an automatic ejection from this point on?

My two sense!
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Red face

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by CYO Butch
Is it at all possible that this was not even a physical threat to the coach, but rather a comment about what "My team" is going to do to "your team"?
I don't understand what you are asking...

B1 told B coach that A1 said .... Then B coach told me what her player told her.

Would you get both coaches together at this point with one of your partners and discuss what was said and let them know that any "looks", talking, ect. would be an automatic ejection from this point on?
I need to learn to read better
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 06:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

dhodges,

I'd inform both coaches that any one (player or bench) caught communicating with an opponent (verbal or not) for any reason would at least get a technical foul; and that a flagrant was highly likely.