The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Question

Sorry for so many post but I am a new ref and I have some questions. .. I am 15 as most of you probally know but the local association you must be 18 to do Highschool games. However I can call Jr.High as well as Childrens Leagues. Is there a way I can get a card to get in the game for free or do I just give them 3 dollars at the door?
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Sorry for so many post but I am a new ref and I have some questions. .. I am 15 as most of you probally know but the local association you must be 18 to do Highschool games. However I can call Jr.High as well as Childrens Leagues. Is there a way I can get a card to get in the game for free or do I just give them 3 dollars at the door?
Wait.

Are you telling us they make you pay $3 to work these games? If so tell the yutz at the door you're working, not watching.

Or are you telling us you want to go see some local refs work and they charge you at the door. If so walk in with the refs, or explain to the person in charge (not the yutz at the door) why you're there.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 05:14pm
Esteemed Participant

Ask some of the local HS refs if they have an agreement with the schools that lets them in free to observe...and good grief, don't apologize for asking questions (unless it's the one about a player catching his/her own airball)!!!
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
..and good grief, don't apologize for asking questions (unless it's the one about a player catching his/her own airball)!!!
.... or why Shaq gets away with murder, or why Shaq gets picked on, or why Shaq....
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Brandan, the same officials who read the McGriff board read this board. We've answered most of these same questions for you in the past partner. The answers aren't going to change.

As I've told you before, find an official in your area to help you learn the ropes. And again, DON'T wear your uniform when you go to one of his games.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Ask some of the local HS refs if they have an agreement with the schools that lets them in free to observe...and good grief, don't apologize for asking questions (unless it's the one about a player catching his/her own airball)!!!
Unless you want to contribute to BktBallRef's retirement fund!
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Well if the people from McGriff bored wouldent be such butt's (some of them) then I wouldent have to ask people on this bored again. Atleast on this bored I dont think they would be total butts when I am trying to get some information and tips to become better.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 05:28am
Official Forum Member

What is the web address for the McGriff forum?
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well if the people from McGriff bored wouldent be such butt's (some of them) then I wouldent have to ask people on this bored again. Atleast on this bored I dont think they would be total butts when I am trying to get some information and tips to become better.
McGriff's has it's share of "butts," no doubt. But several from this board have previously answered the same questions for you over there. Feel free to continue to ask but it's likely that those who have replied to those same questions, won't reply again.

As I've told you previously, find a local veteran official and LEARN from him and continue to READ.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
What is the web address for the McGriff forum?
Try Google. You'll find it.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have a tip for you....Put your ref career on hold for now, stay in school and polish up on your spelling and grammar.

You wouldent be bored if you studied your butts off.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 08:33am
cingram

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Quote:
I have a tip for you....Put your ref career on hold for now, stay in school and polish up on your spelling and grammar.

Hold on here. I like to see refs start early. It helps them understand the game that much better. If they have any potential and enjoy it they can go far quickly. I like to see that.

I attended a camp last year and was shocked at the skill level of one official there. He was 2 years older than the camp players and he probably would have had one of the final games had he not sprained his ankle trying to dunk during some downtime.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Note to self...

Don't try to dunk during down time.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by cingram
Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Quote:

Hold on here. I like to see refs start early. It helps them understand the game that much better. If they have any potential and enjoy it they can go far quickly. I like to see that.
I'm with cingram. It's both/and. school and reffing. The important caution is to not give up school for reffing. As they say, "Don't quit your day job." That's not an insult. It's just good advice.