The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

[Quote]Originally posted by rcwilco
the referee mistakenly starts the count where she left off

and then you stated,

This messed up my partner who got mentally out of the game and wanted help badly. He got pretty nervous.

?
Richland, WA
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BoomerSooner
You wouldn't add time back on, even with the definite knowledge, because hopefully you will allow A to inbound the ball from the point closet to where you blew you wistle. Therefore if A is inbounding next to the endline, your partner counts 4 seconds and then blows the wistle with A 2 steps from the midline, then stop play take the ball out 2 steps from the midline and to account for the ball getting halfway up the court badabing 4 seconds are off the clock.
MODERATOR!! HELP!!! Lock thread quickly!! We don't want this one coming up again.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BoomerSooner
You wouldn't add time back on, even with the definite knowledge, because hopefully you will allow A to inbound the ball from the point closet to where you blew you wistle. Therefore if A is inbounding next to the endline, your partner counts 4 seconds and then blows the wistle with A 2 steps from the midline, then stop play take the ball out 2 steps from the midline and to account for the ball getting halfway up the court badabing 4 seconds are off the clock.
MODERATOR!! HELP!!! 86 thread quickly!! We don't want this one coming up again.
Fixed it for ya
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

RookieDude,
I should have explained more clearly. He did not know what to do. I am on other end of court. Both coaches are pleading their case and getting on him a little, but nothing really out of line. Parents are asking what is going on, and by the time I get over there he (pretty new official) is just standing there. He was scared and said he had no idea what to do. That is why I just made the quick statement, sent him to lead where I had been and got things going. Once a decision was made everyone was fine with it. I just wanted to see other opinions on the situation.
Hope to see you if you are at any camps here in Seattle.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rcwilco
RookieDude,
I should have explained more clearly. He did not know what to do. I am on other end of court. Both coaches are pleading their case and getting on him a little, but nothing really out of line. Parents are asking what is going on, and by the time I get over there he (pretty new official) is just standing there. He was scared and said he had no idea what to do. That is why I just made the quick statement, sent him to lead where I had been and got things going. Once a decision was made everyone was fine with it. I just wanted to see other opinions on the situation.
Hope to see you if you are at any camps here in Seattle.
I'm assuming that this is a lower level game (middle school or FR/SO). Depending on the official and the tone of the game, I wouldn't have sent him to the other end. I'd have taken a moment away from coaches to ask him a leading question or two to get him to the right conclusion. It's not going to help him to make the decision for him but it will if you guide him to the decision.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

agreed, once again I was in a hurry trying to write in between schoolwork. I did check with him, told him the correct call and what we should do, then suggested he go to my position to move away from the bench a little. Afterwards we discussed it and I made sure that he understood the rule and his ideas on how to handle it.
To your point though, maybe i should have asked him if he wanted to go to my position rather than assume he would and suggest it. That probably put undue pressure on him to foolow my suggestion, even if he may have wanted to do otherwise. Maybe I should have let him announce to the coaches what we were dong, etc. Good point, thanks for the input.
Yes lower level game.