The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 03:32pm
cingram

Shot missed by a player - he gets his own rebound and drives around the crowd under the hoop trying to lay it up again.

He goes up for the shot and lands on a turtled defender. Balances (sitting) for a few seconds then falls off.

The defender wasn't trying to take a charge - he was in for the rebounding/boxing out, saw the player looming above him, turtled, and in a sense caught him.

Probably more of a - You had to be there to see the play - But just thought I'd see what everybody thinks.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by cingram
Shot missed by a player - he gets his own rebound and drives around the crowd under the hoop trying to lay it up again.

He goes up for the shot and lands on a turtled defender. Balances (sitting) for a few seconds then falls off.

The defender wasn't trying to take a charge - he was in for the rebounding/boxing out, saw the player looming above him, turtled, and in a sense caught him.

Probably more of a - You had to be there to see the play - But just thought I'd see what everybody thinks.
"You have to be there" sounds like the best call!

Sounds to me as though it's almost certainly not a block. From the description, I'd lean towards a no-call, as it doesn't sound as though an advantage was gained by the contact.

If the defender hadn't turtled (who knew "turtle" was a verb), then I'd probably lean towards a charge, as the defender would likely be displaced by the driver.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm trying to visualize it, A1 jumps outside in, from behind the backboard, and lands on B3 turning/ducking to protect themself, correct?

I have a no-call. A1 is not jumping in a vertical plane, and is causing the contact. As described A1 landed on B3.

If the "turtling" caught A1's lower body and changed A1's body angle you'd have a foul on B3, in that case B3 boxed out an airborne player.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:

"You have to be there" sounds like the best call!

Sounds to me as though it's almost certainly not a block. From the description, I'd lean towards a no-call, as it doesn't sound as though an advantage was gained by the contact.

If the defender hadn't turtled (who knew "turtle" was a verb), then I'd probably lean towards a charge, as the defender would likely be displaced by the driver.
Even if he did "turtle" you could still call a PC foul. There is no requirement that a stationary player be upright or be facing the opponent to draw a PC foul. The shooter doesn't get the right to just run over someone who isn't looking. A defender has the legal right to turn or duck to protect themselves.

That said, I could also agree with a no call in many cases.

Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
If the defender hadn't turtled (who knew "turtle" was a verb...
I like it! Have you read the Bean Trees? After that book, I had a whole different feeling for the word "turtle." And it lends color to this play!
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

whtbt, no call or pc. Peace.........
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 10:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
If the defender hadn't turtled (who knew "turtle" was a verb...
I like it! Have you read the Bean Trees? After that book, I had a whole different feeling for the word "turtle." And it lends color to this play!
It's an old hockey term. "Turtling", in hockey, basically means covering up during a fight while the other player is pounding you on the helmet. It's kinda frowned on in hockey as not being very macho, even though it means that the other player might get an extra penalty if you don't fight back.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 08:09am
cingram

Quote:

We ended up having a no call on the play.

Basically if the defence had of taken his legs out from under the shooter I would have had a PC or block. But instead he turtled, tried to get out and ended up cleanly catching him on his back.

Probably the only time I'll ever see this happen (pretty much like the time I had B1 jump over A1...)