The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
I had one this sunday. Working with a seasoned veteren in the chapter during a 14U AAU girls tourny on saturday. 2 man crew - i was headed down the court as new lead and the defender that was following the dribbler peels off i get set on the end line. Another defender sets up, legaly obtains postion and BAM! textbook charge out of a boys game. I called it and my paretner looked at me funny. It was defintly something to talk about in the locker room at half-time.
I'm trying really hard not to flame you for this. One season, my varsity girls' basketball team took 34 charges in 26 games.

The JH team in my program this year (13- & 14-year-olds) took 11 in 16 games.
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by ace
I had one this sunday. Working with a seasoned veteren in the chapter during a 14U AAU girls tourny on saturday. 2 man crew - i was headed down the court as new lead and the defender that was following the dribbler peels off i get set on the end line. Another defender sets up, legaly obtains postion and BAM! textbook charge out of a boys game. I called it and my paretner looked at me funny. It was defintly something to talk about in the locker room at half-time.
I'm trying really hard not to flame you for this. One season, my varsity girls' basketball team took 34 charges in 26 games.

The JH team in my program this year (13- & 14-year-olds) took 11 in 16 games.
Now, PA, calm down. The poor guy is a men's official. You gotta give him a little pity for that.
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

I tend to give the benefice of the doubt to the defender who got a good defensive position. I try to referee the defense. I agree that there's often more charge on a girl's game than a boy's game.
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 09:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up I agree with apart of that.

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
I just dont see girls getting out and staying int he line of a drive like guys do.
Now that I completely agree with. Not because I do not like girl's basketball, but because I do not see girl's purposely trying to draw charges like boy's do. Whether it is coaching or understanding of the game, every boy's game I have, you see players purposely flopping and trying to draw charges all the time. Even when they do not get the calls, they try several times a game. I do not see girl's flopping or what I would think as a purposeful attempt to draw a charge most of the time (when I have worked them). Now that of course changes when they get to college and you are talking about the better teams. But when they are at the HS level and below, I do not see this as much. Most of the PC fouls I see and call at the girl's level, are for the dribbler using her forearm to clear out a player. Not so much of the defender getting to a spot and being ran over.

Peace
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

...it's called Cordination...or lack thereof.

Not that I watch a whole lot of girls games, but the little I see, many girls don't seem to be able to move their feet quick enough to actually get good guarding postion and the oncoming dribbler is not skilled enough to dribble around their opponent...thus, a collision.

Please don't get your feelings hurt ladies...God made the boys more cordinated so they could "hunt and gather"...I guess the girls had to get something, so they got the brains...or something like that.
Richland, WA
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Please don't get your feelings hurt ladies...God made the boys more cordinated so they could "hunt and gather"...I guess the girls had to get something, so they got the brains...or something like that.
Give me a break, Rookie, you haven't read any newspapers or magazine lately? Girls have progressed a little since the "hunt and gather" era. Maybe you should, too.
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

...insert Cro-magnum man here: D)

Quote:
Now, PA, calm down. The poor guy is a men's official. You gotta give him a little pity for that.

Lighten up little lady...you opened the door when ya took a jab at that poor pitiful guy that is a men's official.
Richland, WA
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 12:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Now Juulie.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Give me a break, Rookie, you haven't read any newspapers or magazine lately? Girls have progressed a little since the "hunt and gather" era. Maybe you should, too.
I do not agree completely with the "hunt and gather" comment. But Juulie, you have to admit if nothing else that boys play sports much earlier than girls and might just be a little more used to athletic play, which can affect what happens on a court. I know I played basketball and many other sports not only organized, but games on the playground where no officials were around.

Boys jump faster, run faster and are quicker. Not every girl is Candance Parker. And even she can slightly dunk as compared to most boys her same age. It does affect the type of things that happen when they play the game of basketball.

Peace
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Juulie, in physical ability girls haven't changed much at all. Only the perception of what they can do is catching up with what they can do.

However, I feel Rookie's comment was only meant to draw the image that males and females are built differently and for different purposes. There is no denying that they are physically different and will forever be different (not better, just different). Men (at their peak ability) will always run faster and jump higher and will always be physically stronger. Among other things, women have better detailed dexterity are typically better communicators.
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 03:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Not that I watch a whole lot of girls games, but the little I see, many girls don't seem to be able to move their feet quick enough to actually get good guarding postion and the oncoming dribbler is not skilled enough to dribble around their opponent...thus, a collision.

Agree completely. Wimmen were just never meant to "hunt and gather", or play sports either. I think that's because wimmen are missing an extra gene or something that us men have that allows us to throw balls right,etc. Men go to war. Wimmen make flags while we're doing it(see Betsy Ross). And you're right about us men being more cordinated (except maybe for not knowing how to spell it) so we could hunt and gather. But it's not really accurate to say that the wimmen got the brains to compensate. They actually got bigger hips so that they could better do what God put them on Earth for.

Btw, don't think that I'm against Wimmen's Rights. I'm not. Personally, I think that it's cute when the gals get all riled up about it.
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

I always luv it when that durn Grandpa JR comes to little ol' sissy's rescue. He ed-uee-kates me in soooo many ways. Heck, when I miss-spell those there words...he takes me out to the virtual (I had too look that big ol' word up) wood shed!
Thanks again, Gramps, for your won-dee-fur insight...you ain't only the best but da smartest.

(Dexter!...I'm gonna hav ta proof read these here things a little better)
Richland, WA
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 05:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I always luv it when that durn Grandpa JR comes to little ol' sissy's rescue. He ed-uee-kates me in soooo many ways. Heck, when I miss-spell those there words...he takes me out to the virtual (I had too look that big ol' word up) wood shed!
Thanks again, Gramps, for your won-dee-fur insight...you ain't only the best but da smartest.

Heeeeey, I'm trying to be serious here.Missy (not Sissy) ain't getting my help. Nosiree, Dudey!!
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 05:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
He ed-uee-kates me in soooo many ways. Heck, when I miss-spell those there words.
Maybe I need to ed-uee-kate you when you misspell "miss-spell".

Wimmen are good spellers. They learn all that while we're out hunting and gathering. As a matter of fact, I'm seriously thinking of going out "hunting and gathering" myself tonight. Hunting and gathering wimmen, that is!
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
...insert Cro-magnum man here: D)

Quote:

Lighten up little lady...
Ya know what..I'm gonna go stand over there...I hear she aint such a good shot when she's P.O.'ed...
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Agree completely. Wimmen were just never meant to "hunt and gather", or play sports either. I think that's because wimmen are missing an extra gene or something that us men have that allows us to throw balls right,etc. Men go to war. Wimmen make flags while we're doing it(see Betsy Ross). And you're right about us men being more cordinated (except maybe for not knowing how to spell it) so we could hunt and gather. But it's not really accurate to say that the wimmen got the brains to compensate. They actually got bigger hips so that they could better do what God put them on Earth for.

Btw, don't think that I'm against Wimmen's Rights. I'm not. Personally, I think that it's cute when the gals get all riled up about it.
...well...the bigger hips are good