The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Question

I am doing a spring league for girls varsity and last Thursday a situation came up that got me to thinking.

We had a three man crew. I was the C and the ball was in the opposite corner. The L called a foul on B1 in the low post. About the same time A2 starts her shooting motion in the corner and swishes the shot. The L came out strong on the foul call and waved off the basket, but in reality, had no clue when the shot started (rule being if the shot motion has started, then the foul by B1 off the ball, the basket should count). Now, as the C, I had no clue as to the timing of events because I was opposite side, concentrating on action off the ball. However, the T should have had a good view.

My question is, when the L comes out and whistles the foul and waves off the basket, what are "best practices" in that situation? Do we remain quiet even if we are 100% sure the shot should be counted?

In my opinion, the lead should come out strong with the foul call, but wait on waving off the basket until a partner check can be done. So, I fault the L with bad mechanics here. But once the L does that, do we eat the call? How would you handle it?
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

This speaks to questions I've asked numerous times on this forum - getting the call right vs. correcting (potentially embarrassing) your partner when he comes out strong with the no basket signal.

Advice from a trusted official: Judgement is everything in this business.

This, like some many other things, is a judgement call but I'm interested in hearing what college officials have to say about this situation. As a young official, I'm still trying to find my style.
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 07:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Talking Do nothing--I misread the post.

All you can do is give information, at the end of the day, this is his call. The play is already dead when he blows the whistle and he would know really better than anyone when he determined there was a foul. You might go tell him, "the basket went in," but let him determine if it counts.

Or basically if he was so admimate about the basket not counting, I would do nothing. Then we would discuss it at halftime or at the end of the game.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on May 26th, 2004 at 09:06 AM]
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 07:58am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
I am doing a spring league for girls varsity and last Thursday a situation came up that got me to thinking.

We had a three man crew. I was the C and the ball was in the opposite corner. The L called a foul on B1 in the low post. About the same time A2 starts her shooting motion in the corner and swishes the shot. The L came out strong on the foul call and waved off the basket, but in reality, had no clue when the shot started (rule being if the shot motion has started, then the foul by B1 off the ball, the basket should count). Now, as the C, I had no clue as to the timing of events because I was opposite side, concentrating on action off the ball. However, the T should have had a good view.

My question is, when the L comes out and whistles the foul and waves off the basket, what are "best practices" in that situation? Do we remain quiet even if we are 100% sure the shot should be counted?

In my opinion, the lead should come out strong with the foul call, but wait on waving off the basket until a partner check can be done. So, I fault the L with bad mechanics here. But once the L does that, do we eat the call? How would you handle it?

Here is how I would have handled your situation. I would have immediately gone to the L before he got to the reporting area and had a quick discussion with him as to the timing of the foul. Tell him your concerns and if you really believe that A2 was in the act of shooting when B1 committed her foul, then you need to convince him that A2's field goal has to be counted.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

I agree with JRut...the whistle, which is when the rest of us know it is dead, is not when the play was dead in reality. When the calling official saw the foul, it was dead then..I am of the opinion, if you think you must do something, then just let the calling official know that the basket went in...if they are having a brain lock and forget that if the shot was away it was good, then maybe this will shock them back to us here on earth...but I would not try to "convince" them of the call, by doing that it sure looks like you are fishing in someone elses pond...especially if it is close and not clear cut...
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 09:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I would have immediately gone to the L before he got to the reporting area and had a quick discussion with him as to the timing of the foul. Tell him your concerns and if you really believe that A2 was in the act of shooting when B1 committed her foul, then you need to convince him that A2's field goal has to be counted.
Mark T.,
Yes, have the discussion. This is particularly important if we, as the non-calling official, actually saw the foul also.

If we incorporate that understanding with Rut's suggestion, we have a good thing going, we're on the same page, and we're lookin' good.
mick

Old Wed May 26, 2004, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I would have immediately gone to the L before he got to the reporting area and had a quick discussion with him as to the timing of the foul. Tell him your concerns and if you really believe that A2 was in the act of shooting when B1 committed her foul, then you need to convince him that A2's field goal has to be counted.
Mark T.,
Yes, have the discussion. This is particularly important if we, as the non-calling official, actually saw the foul also.

If we incorporate that understanding with Rut's suggestion, we have a good thing going, we're on the same page, and we're lookin' good.
mick

Mick, I like MTD's idea better and this is how I happen to handle it. Jeff's idea falls short IMO simply because to the non-calling official it should be *obvious* that the basket should count, in most cases the calling offical has no way of knowing where the ball was if he's making an off-ball call. This is something you must convince your partner of or as a crew you are sunk.

IMO.
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 10:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Mick, I like MTD's idea better and this is how I happen to handle it. Jeff's idea falls short IMO simply because to the non-calling official it should be *obvious* that the basket should count, in most cases the calling offical has no way of knowing where the ball was if he's making an off-ball call. This is something you must convince your partner of or as a crew you are sunk.

IMO.
It is fine that you disagree with my point of view on this, but you can give all the information in the world and still have the calling official not accept your information. I have had a partner turn down my information and I am not going to get into a debate on the floor about the situation. All you do is give the information, it is up to them to decide to take it into consideration. And I know when I blow my whistle, I consider the status of the ball and how that contact might have affected that play. I know what I am going to do in most cases without any other information. Maybe an official that makes this call already realizes what he wants to do.

Peace
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 10:32am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
....in most cases the calling offical has no way of knowing where the ball was if he's making an off-ball call.
Dan,
Ah, yes, ... in most cases.
In the given case, though, the official "waves off the basket". He not only had an idea, he also adjudged the timing.

I think neither is better, but both is best.
mick

When building a house, which is more important, the hammer or the nail?

Old Wed May 26, 2004, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
....in most cases the calling offical has no way of knowing where the ball was if he's making an off-ball call.
Dan,
Ah, yes, ... in most cases.
In the given case, though, the official "waves off the basket". He not only had an idea, he also adjudged the timing.

I think neither is better, but both is best.
mick

When building a house, which is more important, the hammer or the nail?

Not sure I see why in this particular play the L could know the ball in the corner was shot prior to the foul he called at the low post. I suspect if he was working his primary he guessed on the foul or the shot.

Old Wed May 26, 2004, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

I'm glad that I just learned from this thread that I should consult the non-calling partner if this happened to me. He/she should be the best to judge as he watched the shooter & heard my whistle
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 10:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink What Mick said is true. I wish I had thought to say it.

Quote:
Not sure I see why in this particular play the L could know the ball in the corner was shot prior to the foul he called at the low post. I suspect if he was working his primary he guessed on the foul or the shot.

Maybe he had a wide angle? Maybe he was able to see both?

I think what Mick said rings so true. If the lead is waving off the play, he probably already realizes what is happening and made a decision. Not much you can tell him at that point. Of course this is a pregame issue, but I will assume if I was his partner that the play was dead before the shot was taken.

Peace
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 10:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:

It's an imperfect wrodl, ain't it?
mick
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

IMO.
It is fine that you disagree with my point of view on this, but you can give all the information in the world and still have the calling official not accept your information. I have had a partner turn down my information and I am not going to get into a debate on the floor about the situation. All you do is give the information, it is up to them to decide to take it into consideration. And I know when I blow my whistle, I consider the status of the ball and how that contact might have affected that play. I know what I am going to do in most cases without any other information. Maybe an official that makes this call already realizes what he wants to do.

Peace
Well...if you're working with the type of guy who flat refuses to accept your information then you're screwed.

If it was close then you let him live with it.

If it was OBVIOUS then you got to step up and make it right.

Old Wed May 26, 2004, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

It's an imperfect wrodl, ain't it?
mick
lol

Can't argue wiht that.