Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 12:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
[/B]
The last time I did that [a player with a fifth foul walking off the floor said, "That's(bovine manure)!"],
[/B][/QUOTE]"Bovine" and not "equine"? Cowdexter and not horsedexter?
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
mick
I think that she is suggesting a bit of game management here. You would rather avoid the double ejection scenario, so it doesn't hurt to point out that the assistant's T is an indirect on head coach, and that a T to either coach will lead to head coach's ejection. If a little preventive officiating avoids the next T, it's a good thing.
Okay, Hawks Coach.
I had trouble understanding the words.
Yeah, for sure if I whack someone on the bench, I'll advise Coach that he lost some privileges.
The last time I did that [a player with a fifth foul walking off the floor said, "That's(bovine manure)!"],
I even apologized to the quiet Coach before I reminded him of his loss of the coaching box. ("I'm sorry Coach, but....)
mick
Yea, Hawks' Coach got it. It sounded like this guy was not up on the latest -- or even oldest! -- rules, and it would be a kindness to "remind" him. Not that he'll appreciate it...
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Mick
If the coach already got a direct, he already lost his privileges. What is important is to additionally remind him when his ASSistant gets T'ed that he now has the magic combo of two, one shy of an ejection. Most coaches won't be thinking of that when Robin gets whacked.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WeekendRef
Thanks for your replies . This board is an excellent learning resource for newer officials such as myself (Not too bad for older officials either)because we can learn a lot from those of you who have lived through a lot of these situations .
After the game that I mentioned I really was pissed off because of the way the coaches and parents acted and I really questioned why I was giving up my weekends to ref basketball (Aside from the fact that I didn't have to tend to my "Honey Do" list at home because I was out "working"). Then something happened in the last game that really made me smile . The coach was whining about some calls (nothing major but a bit annoying) and before I was able to give him the "enough" sign his team was taking the ball out of bounds tableside and his player turned to him and said " Dad, be quiet we are trying to have fun out here and you are really being inmature !" and this was a 15 year old girl . Didn't hear another word from the coach for the rest of the game and I left with a smile and a desire to return to another tourney next weekend !
As for my initial post...I will not rub the fact that I was right asking the Asst coach to zip it (Never had a problem with an Asst before) . When the Head Coach tells me I was wrong again (and he will )I will just reference the aforementioned rules pertaining to bench conduct and be on my merry way.....although it will be tough not to say "I told you so" I will be the bigger person .
Mark- great read on finding out who the head coach is before every game (Sometimes it's tough in AAU). I made it a point to find out every game after the issue I had
First, I hope you said something positive to the young lady. I always mention it when I see or hear good sportsmanship.

Second, we all have to establish that line, but I will never allow a coach to use the, "Your wrong, or you don't know the rule," in the manor that the coach did in your game. That is an immediate T, I'd have given him something else to look up in his rulebook.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Most coaches won't be thinking of that when Robin gets whacked.
Now we know you see yourself as the batman type.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quick to the Hawk Cave!
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Some days you're Batman, and some days you're the Joker, trying to figure out how the caped crusaders got you again when you thought you had the perfect scheme.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 06:53pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
You can also note that there is absolutely NOTHING ANYWHERE in the rulebook that gives a head coach the right to question a call by an official at any time either.
As long as we "play nicely", questioning a call, discussing the weather and other pleasantries seem to be implied and encouraged.
You're right the rules do not allow, but likewise they do not disallow (as written in some diamond games) questions on judgement.

Let us not forget the item below, which, as you know, is our latest procedure to make ourselves available to such questions.
mick

(NOTE: The NFHS Officials Manual is not being edited this year; however, the Basketball Rules Committee made the following change, which will be reflected in the 2005-07 edition.)
The foul calling official in a three-person crew will go tableside after calling the foul to enhance communication with coaches and the scorer’s table.

Ah yes, to enhance communication. I am sure we all want to have better communication with a howler monkey.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio