The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Elastic Power (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/13530-elastic-power.html)

SamIAm Wed May 05, 2004 10:24am

Concerning rolling the basketball - NCAA Rule 2 section 3 - Elastic Power(EP). I can call it a travel or double dribble and be correct. But I am not saying you have to call it either.

I don't recall the NFHS rule but I thnk it is the same as NCAA in regard to the elastic power rule.

I would use the EP rule very sparingly. I have only used it for a couple of situations, both mens rec. league. To remove two players from the game without ejecting them or assessing technicals and to end a game before time expired.
I can't think of a reason to use the EP rule in a highschool game or a college game.

Any of you ever used the elastic power rule to justify anything?

mick Wed May 05, 2004 10:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by SamIAm

No, but I will, as soon as a player leaves the bench area because the ceiling is falling in that area of the gym, because a rabid skunk is attacking the rack of shooting balls, or because a flock of Ruffed grouse flew into the open door of the gym.
mick

Dan_ref Wed May 05, 2004 11:12am

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Originally posted by SamIAm

No, but I will, as soon as a player leaves the bench area because the ceiling is falling in that area of the gym, because a rabid skunk is attacking the rack of shooting balls, or because a flock of Ruffed grouse flew into the open door of the gym.
mick

Last year I worked an AAU game in a HS gym that doubled as summer home to some sparrows. No big deal until it became apparent that some of the sparrows were having trouble digesting that double breakfast burrito. You would be surprised what a large *SPLAT* that stuff makes when it hits a gym floor from 30 feet or so.

Mark Padgett Wed May 05, 2004 11:48am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref

Last year I worked an AAU game in a HS gym that doubled as summer home to some sparrows. No big deal until it became apparent that some of the sparrows were having trouble digesting that double breakfast burrito. You would be surprised what a large *SPLAT* that stuff makes when it hits a gym floor from 30 feet or so.

Are you sure it wasn't from one of the coaches?

Dan_ref Wed May 05, 2004 11:57am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref

Are you sure it wasn't from one of the coaches?

Pretty sure.

Little birdies in the rafters go "tweet tweet tweet"

AAU coaches tend to not have mastered that level of communications skills.

brianp134 Wed May 05, 2004 02:16pm

We had a bomb threat in the gym last night. Would that be the same thing?

dhodges007 Thu May 06, 2004 09:19am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

We had a hawk in one of my HS games last year :)