The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 23, 2004, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

NBA goes 2-man

Eddie F. Rush, unfortunately, hurt his calf in the last few minutes of the 4th Q of the Rockets/Lakers game.
If anyone is interested in seeing the NBA guys do some 2-man for the last couple of minutes tune in.

James Capers and Mike Callahan were the two who finished the game.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Apr 24th, 2004 at 12:33 AM]
Old Fri Apr 23, 2004, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Some thoughts on the 2-man officiating in the last 2 minutes:
1. The TV announcers said that there is not an alternate official present until the conference finals. I wonder if the NBA will take a hard look at this policy now. It seems silly to me to not have an alternate in the building during the playoffs.
2. The officials pretty much worked just like they do in the 3-man system. The lead rotated to the strong side quickly, and quite often both of the officials were on the same side of the court. I know that this is an approved mechanic in NFHS, but most guys are either uncomfortable coming over or frown upon it. On a couple of possessions the Lead rotated more than once to cover a shot and then a weakside rebound. They ran, not walked over.
3. On one foul call near the division line the Trail official, who was tableside, called the foul and immediately turned his back to the players to report. Although, I'm sure this speed looks great and is not much of a problem in 3-man, I would have liked to see this official adjust his game due to the circumstance of only having one partner out there and hold his view of the players for a bit. I know that they don't do 2-man hardly at all and the ingrained habits are not going to be changed in the blink of an eye. It just could have been a problem, if someone had done something silly in that hotly contested game.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
The lead rotated to the strong side quickly, and quite often both of the officials were on the same side of the court. I know that this is an approved mechanic in NFHS, but most guys are either uncomfortable coming over or frown upon it.
Au' contraire around here Nevadaref. We're still a two-person crew in Washington State and we're quite comfortable crossing to strong side and it is encouraged, not frowned upon when post play is anticipated.

Z
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
The lead rotated to the strong side quickly, and quite often both of the officials were on the same side of the court. I know that this is an approved mechanic in NFHS, but most guys are either uncomfortable coming over or frown upon it.
Au' contraire around here Nevadaref. We're still a two-person crew in Washington State and we're quite comfortable crossing to strong side and it is encouraged, not frowned upon when post play is anticipated.

Z
Just to be clear, I am all in favor of coming strong side in 2-man. I was quite pleased with how the NBA guys handled it. My experience with 2-man seems to differ greatly with yours. Kudos to your association for having the attitude you do on this mechanic. FWIW, I hear that NV is reverting to 2-man this coming season.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 02:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Au' contraire
French!!! French!!! You used French on this board!!! How FEEBLE!!!
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Au' contraire
French!!! French!!! You used French on this board!!! How FEEBLE!!!
This in from Jay Leno:

"After what they say was an exhaustive investigation, the Defense Minister of France said today that Osama bin Laden is either still in hiding in Afghanistan, he may have escaped to Pakistan, or he may be dead. Hey, France, thanks a lot. We'll take it from here. Hard to believe they were invaded twice." —Jay Leno

Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

And the French reply to Americans:

The explosion of shuttle Columbia didn't stop the Americans.

They recently decided to land a shuttle on the sun...When the French told them it was impossible because of the heat, they proudly replied that they would land at
night!
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

With the recent increase in terrorism the French government announced they have raised their security alert status from "hide" to "run". It is hoped there will be no need to raise the status to "surrender".
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Dang, I missed the two-man game. That would have been interesting.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

I did both 2 man and 3 man. From a purely physical workout standpoint, I preferrred 2 man. It was major boring getting cauhgt up in the C position.

Now for a bit of humor to keep things light....

Top 10 REASONS FOR BEING FRENCH

10. When speaking fast you can make yourself sound gay.
9. Experience the joy of winning the world cup for the first time.
8. You get to eat insect food like snails and frog's legs.
7. If there's a war you can surrender really early.
6. You don't have to read the subtitles on those late night films on TV.
5. You can test your own nuclear weapons in other people's countries.
4. You can be ugly and still become a famous film star.
3. Allow Germans to march up and down your most famous street humiliating your sense of national pride.
2. You don't have to bother with toilets, just **** in the street.
1. People think you're a great lover even when you're not.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
There's another one on right now -- LA and Houston. Joe Crawford did something to his calf.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
There's another one on right now -- LA and Houston. Joe Crawford did something to his calf.
Most of the way thru the 3rd qtr & he's back.

This may sound cold - and I have nothing but admiration for the guy...but if you're old enough to worry that calf pain might be a life threatening blood clot then it might be time to think about hanging it up.

Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The officials pretty much worked just like they do in the 3-man system. The lead rotated to the strong side quickly, and quite often both of the officials were on the same side of the court. I know that this is an approved mechanic in NFHS, but most guys are either uncomfortable coming over or frown upon it. On a couple of possessions the Lead rotated more than once to cover a shot and then a weakside rebound. They ran, not walked over.
3. On one foul call near the division line the Trail official, who was tableside, called the foul and immediately turned his back to the players to report. Although, I'm sure this speed looks great and is not much of a problem in 3-man, I would have liked to see this official adjust his game due to the circumstance of only having one partner out there and hold his view of the players for a bit. I know that they don't do 2-man hardly at all and the ingrained habits are not going to be changed in the blink of an eye. It just could have been a problem, if someone had done something silly in that hotly contested game.
The NBA 3 is just an extension of the two person crew. The NBA has their refs learn the two person game extensively before they ref three. They are trained extensively, The NBA puts out a 2 person mechanics manual...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having two refs on the same side of the floor. If you know what you are doing it does not affect coverage. The object is to get the call right. If there are guys that frown upon going strong-side to ref, it's that they get too worried about getting across and covering their line... or they are too lazy.

Remember in terminology (at least with NBA) lead always has strong side rebound, because where ever lead is is the strong side..

I am not sure what you want trail to adjust to. If there is a problem, they may have missed a cheap shot, but the league does not miss them, and even if the "T" was not called, David Stern and company would still issue fines and suspensions. If you miss a T in a one shot Trail calls a foul, turns and reports to table. His partner watches the other players. The object in any game is to get the ball back into play. Too often NFHS referees take too much time putting the ball back into play (the mechanics encourage it many times) It goes like this

Blow the whistle
Tell the player what they did
Maybe birddog
Maybe a preliminary signal
Run way out to a reporting area
Stop
Signal
Go way back to where you call it

(if the foul is in backcourt you may have to long switch)
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

USBL uses 2 person. Very different than the NFHS 2 person system taught. I'm thinking the NBA teaches two man to their officials as a teaching tool... as well as for what happened today. I'd say good forsight by the officiating leadership in the NBA.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
I did both 2 man and 3 man. From a purely physical workout standpoint, I preferrred 2 man. It was major boring getting cauhgt up in the C position.
If you're bored at the C position, then you're not working hard enough.