The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

A lot of knowledge and experience in this forum.. and I'm sure this post has probably existed in the past. But, thought it would be informative for all. 2 things to talk about.

TALK ABOUT THE LITTLE THINGS that some of you do in games that maybe not everyone thinks or knows about ?

(My 2 cents: Trail moving onto the court off the sideline to create a better angle to see matchup play coming from the wing, instead of glueing yourself to the sideline)

or

TALK ABOUT THE WIERD PLAYS that have happened in your games and how you handled them ??

Not really looking for extensive debate on what is right or wrong... just ideas for everyone... so that we can learn from others. Decide on your own wether it is something you'd like to use or not.

And i'm talking about little things.. little ideas.. Pregames talks, how you've handled players/coaches, etc...

Let's keep it productive.

Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 10:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by iamaref

TALK ABOUT THE LITTLE THINGS that some of you do in games that maybe not everyone thinks or knows about ?

...or

TALK ABOUT THE WIERD PLAYS that have happened in your games and how you handled them ??

...Let's keep it productive.

Sounds like you are suggesting the entire Basketball Forum be put in one thread.
mick
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by iamaref
Let's keep it productive.
Productive? That's asking a lot, doncha think?

I think the weirdest play I've ever had was during the jump when both jumpers went up, swung, and trapped the ball between their upstretched hands, and came down and landed with the ball right there between their hands. We re-jumped.
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

OK, Imagine this, player is dribbling full speed toward his basket on a fast break, somehow, the ball lands directly between his legs and gets trapped for a second.

As the player takes the next stride, the ball gets flipped up and over his head from back to front and he catches it in stride and shoots without dribbling again and scores.

The official was laughing so hard he could not call a thing.
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 11:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I don't see what he could have called anyway.
Player dribbles.
Player accidentally stops dribble.
Player fumbles.
Player recovers and shoots.

This would have been too funny.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

I had kind of a weird play in a game. Team A has the ball in the front court and their point guard, A1, is dribbling outside the three point line. A1 picks up his dripple and throws a hard pass into the lane. The ball bounces of B player and goes strait up and into the hoop, without touching another A player. We counted the basket as a three and played on. Saying it was the same as a tip on a shot because A1 threw the ball in from behind the three point line.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 04:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptStevenM
I had kind of a weird play in a game. Team A has the ball in the front court and their point guard, A1, is dribbling outside the three point line. A1 picks up his dripple and throws a hard pass into the lane. The ball bounces of B player and goes strait up and into the hoop, without touching another A player. We counted the basket as a three and played on. Saying it was the same as a tip on a shot because A1 threw the ball in from behind the three point line.
Whoa, I didn't see it but it sounds like it maybe shoulda been a 2-point basket only. The ball had to "legally" be touched by the defender in this play for a 3-point basket to be credited. Iow, it had to still be on the way up. That's NFHS casebook play 5.2.1SitC(b). If the ball legally hits a defender on the way DOWN inside the 3-point line or it is obviously short or below the basket ring, the shot has ended and if it subsequently goes in, you only award 2 points. See NFHS casebook play 4.40.4SitB.

If another player legally "tips" a shot inside the arc, as you state above, that automatically ends the 3-point attempt also, and only 2 points can be scored.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 04:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
A1 picks up his dripple

I hate to see it when they drop their dripple. . .

Oh, keep it productive. Sigh. Fine!

Quote:
and throws a hard pass into the lane. The ball bounces of B player and goes strait up and into the hoop, without touching another A player. We counted the basket as a three and played on. Saying it was the same as a tip on a shot because A1 threw the ball in from behind the three point line.
Whoa, I didn't see it but it sounds like it maybe shoulda been a 2-point basket only. The ball had to "legally" be touched by the defender in this play for a 3-point basket to be credited. Iow, it had to still be on the way up. That's NFHS casebook play 5.2.1SitC(b). If the ball legally hits a defender on the way DOWN inside the 3-point line or it is obviously short or below the basket ring, the shot has ended and if it subsequently goes in, you only award 2 points. See NFHS casebook play 4.40.4SitB. [/B]
First of all, the ball was legally touched by the defense. It wasn't a try, so there's no goaltending to worry about. Second, we had a huge thread on this a while ago. I don't have the cases with me, but from that conversation, I clearly remember that the rule says that "any thrown ball" that starts outside the arc and goes in without touching the floor or another offensive player is a 3. I'm gonna go try to find that thread. Lemme just hit the "search" button. . .
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 04:35am
Official Forum Member

Here's my "little thing" to add to this thread. Somebody said that they get bored in the C position. Well, here's one small thing to add to your "C" responsibilities.

When the post player has the ball right in front of the Lead, and then dribbles or pivots away from the baseline (toward the Trail) and then continues into the lane and shoots, that play is the Center's primary responsibility. The ball is coming right at the C, and the C should take anything that happens on that move. Train yourself to extend your vision just a little when the low-post player spins away from the baseline.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 05:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
A1 picks up his dripple

I hate to see it when they drop their dripple. . .

Oh, keep it productive. Sigh. Fine!

Quote:
and throws a hard pass into the lane. The ball bounces of B player and goes strait up and into the hoop, without touching another A player. We counted the basket as a three and played on. Saying it was the same as a tip on a shot because A1 threw the ball in from behind the three point line.
Whoa, I didn't see it but it sounds like it maybe shoulda been a 2-point basket only. The ball had to "legally" be touched by the defender in this play for a 3-point basket to be credited. Iow, it had to still be on the way up. That's NFHS casebook play 5.2.1SitC(b). If the ball legally hits a defender on the way DOWN inside the 3-point line or it is obviously short or below the basket ring, the shot has ended and if it subsequently goes in, you only award 2 points. See NFHS casebook play 4.40.4SitB.
First of all, the ball was legally touched by the defense. It wasn't a try, so there's no goaltending to worry about. Second, we had a huge thread on this a while ago. I don't have the cases with me, but from that conversation, I clearly remember that the rule says that "any thrown ball" that starts outside the arc and goes in without touching the floor or another offensive player is a 3. I'm gonna go try to find that thread. Lemme just hit the "search" button. . . [/B]
My thoughts on this play are that the NFHS did a very poor job when they made that rule change (5-2-1) in the 2001-2002 book. The idea was good (to make a lob pass that goes in worth 3 pts.), but the wording of the new rule had some ( very likely) unintended consequences. One of them is this particular play. While if one just reads the new rule and takes it as written, Chuck is correct, and the play is worth 3 points. I believe that is a very unfortunate ruling, and that the NFHS should write a new casebook play to make it clear that they did not wish to contradict 4.40.4 sit B (b) as JR points out. I have to believe that this ruling is still correct since the NFHS continued to print it in the current casebook.
Right now the two rules conflict, and that is not a good situation. The play should be worth only 2 pts.
What is the difference if the ball is thrown with an arc that goes above the level of the ring and then back down to hit a defender, standing in the lane on the shoulder, and goes in or if the ball is thrown hard and in a straight line at the defender? A team should only be awarded three points if the ball had a chance to go in after being thrown.

I just looked up the comment that accompanied that rule change and it says:
"While in most situations a "try" can be differentiated from a pass, to eliminate possible confusion this change should help to clarify by not requiring judgment as to whether the ball in flight was a pass or try." 2001-2002 Rules Book page 72.
Therefore, this rule change is intended to only apply to that particular situation. We are not supposed to use it to justify awarding 3 pts on a play like the one described above. Bottom line: use common sense and know the intent of the rule!

[Edited by Nevadaref on Apr 28th, 2004 at 06:12 AM]
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 05:07am
Official Forum Member

Can't find the thread. Somebody else's gonna have to do it.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 08:06am
In Memoriam

I'm goin' with JR

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
First of all, the ball was legally touched by the defense. It wasn't a try, so there's no goaltending to worry about. Second, we had a huge thread on this a while ago. I don't have the cases with me, but from that conversation, I clearly remember that the rule says that "any thrown ball" that starts outside the arc and goes in without touching the floor or another offensive player is a 3. I'm gonna go try to find that thread. Lemme just hit the "search" button. . .
Chuck,
I do not believe that you believe that.
mick

Dripple : liquid draining from an old ref's mouth to that old ref's chin from the Fox orifice. It is encouraged to pick up one's dripple as often as necessary.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 08:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
[/B]
Dripple : liquid draining from an old ref's mouth to that old ref's chin from the Fox orifice.
[/B][/QUOTE]Or more commonly known as "drooling" amongst us old folks.

Oooooo, pipple
Don't wanna cause a ripple
but because I tipple
I got dripple
coming from my lipple
onto my nipple.

Oh what, oh what shall I do?
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: I'm goin' with JR

Quote:
It is encouraged to pick up one's dripple as often as necessary.
Or MOP it up...
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Re: I'm goin' with JR

Quote:
Chuck,
I do not believe that you believe that.
Not sure what I believe, but here's what I know:

SECTION 2 SCORING
ART. 1 . . . A successful try, tap or thrown ball that does not touch the floor, a teammate or official, from the field by a player who is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch line counts three points. Any other goal from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown. See 4-5-4.

If the ball is thrown from behind the arc, and it doesn't touch the floor, teammate or official, the rule says it's 3 points. I also know what the casebook says. But this rule obviously and unambiguously states that it's 3 points.

If everybody agrees that the rule is worded incorrectly, and we all agree to call it some other way, fine. But the rule is crystal clear.