The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 08:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I've had some weird things happen at the end of games to turn them around, but nothing like what happened today.

I am doing a rec tournament this weekend of 6th grade boys games. I'm working with my son, so it is a real treat. We are doing the games at a facility that has a house rule on technical fouls. In addition to two shots and the ball, the fouled team also gets an automatic two points. This is to discourage bad behavior. They have had this rule for two years and it is posted on every table in all six of their gyms.

Less than 45 seconds to go in the game. A leading by six. B to inbound on spot near midcourt. A has already had a delay warning for reaching over the boundary. A1 reaches way over and almost contacts B1. I call it. B gets the automatic two points, makes both shots and gets the ball back. A now leading by two. B misses but gets rebound, A1 fouls B1. We are not in the bonus. B1 to inbound on baseline, A1 reaches over and slaps ball while in B1's hands. Another T, another two points, two shots and the ball. B1 makes one of the two shots. A now trailing by one. B1 inbounds to B2 who is intentionally fouled by A2 (my son called it, no question on the call). B2 makes both free throws. On the following inbound play, A3 is called by me for a boundary violation (he jumped OOB). Two more points, two more shots (A3 made both) and the ball back. Now A trails by seven. B1 inbounds again to B2. A1 tries for a steal but fouls B2 (we are now in bonus). After the call, A1, who had the ball, slams it against the wall so it rebounds all the way down the court. My son calls a T. If he hadn't, I would have. B2 makes both of the 1 and 1, B gets the automatic two points for the technical and then B2 makes both free throws. A now trails by 13. B1 inbounds with 5 seconds left and, thankfully, the clock runs out.

A 19 point turnaround in under 45 seconds. Even without the automatic two points each time, A would have lost by 5 after leading by 6.

The bright spot was that Coach A never complained to us, but kept calm and just tried to explain to his team what they were doing wrong and to stop it. After the game, he congratulated us on calling a good game.

Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Get a DNA sample from that coach. Science will soon be able to clone him, and the sports world will be a better place. Seriously, commend him next time you work for him. He is obviously a good person, as well as a good teacher of sportsmanship.