The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   And another season down the... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/13119-another-season-down.html)

Dan_ref Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:12pm

...toilet. My observations:

- The refereeing was terrible...teeeerrrrrible I say. How dare these people have the nerve to take control of these games???!!! Teeeeerrrrrible!!! I mean REALLY...don't they realize what we all expect of them???!!

- And what will become of poor little Storrs, CT? I expect it's going to be safer in Fallujah tonight...at least the hoodlums don't drink in Fallujah...and any cars they overturn will already be burned up anyway...

- Speaking of UCONN...I fully expect an investigation to be initiated in the coming weeks in order to determine how teams from the Big East could win BOTH D1 national championships. I mean really...the Big East :rolleyes: couldn't we find ONE team south of Philadelphia good enough to win this damn thing??? Not even one? Come on now! We need to find out exactly who dextered this thing up so badly!

So that's it. I hope everyone has a happy and healthy summer season. Go to a good camp, work some AAU games, toss a few coaches, enjoy the time off and enjoy your families.

BktBallRef Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:15pm

Only in Connecticut could a group of men win a National Championship and still not be the best program on campus. ;)

Dan_ref Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Only in Connecticut could a group of men win a National Championship and still not be the best program on campus. ;)
It's been my experience that on average a group of men in Connecticut is indistinguishable from a group of women in Connecticut.

BTW, maybe one of those Raleigh teams could win one from Gino's girls? Maybe...

BktBallRef Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:28pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

It's been my experience that on average a group of men in Connecticut is indistinguishable from a group of women in Connecticut.

:D

Quote:

Not bloody likely! :)

BTW, there's only one women's team in Raleigh! ;)

Dan_ref Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:31pm

Quote:

Quote:

Not bloody likely! :)

BTW, there's only one women's team in Raleigh! ;) [/B]
Well uhmmmm...I kinda meant the other side...

BktBallRef Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:38pm

Hmmmm...okay...well, there's only one men's team in Raleigh too.

And while Gino's girls are good, they aren't that good.

Mark Dexter Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:34pm

Quote:

You ever been to Connecticut? And, by Connecticut, I mean any part of Connecticut not directly touching New York?

BktBallRef Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:36pm

I think you struck a nerve, sparky. :)

Mark Dexter Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:36pm

Quote:

- And what will become of poor little Storrs, CT? I expect it's going to be safer in Fallujah tonight...at least the hoodlums don't drink in Fallujah...and any cars they overturn will already be burned up anyway...

Dan's not kidding - coming from pretty near Storrs, I can attest to their tendencies to burn cars, sofas, anything they can find when they celebrate. UConn actually called in neighboring fire departments last night - probably there tonight, too.

Jurassic Referee Wed Apr 07, 2004 02:31am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
You ever been to Connecticut? And, by Connecticut, I mean any part of Connecticut not directly touching New York? [/B][/QUOTE]Yeah, I spent a month there one weekend.

WinterWillie Wed Apr 07, 2004 02:56am

Get over it

Quote:

What a tormented mind, you'd better seek professional help before you slit your wrists.

Jurassic Referee Wed Apr 07, 2004 03:01am

Quote:

[/B]
Dan's not kidding - coming from pretty near Storrs, I can attest to their tendencies to burn cars, sofas, anything they can find when they celebrate.

[QUOTE]Sure they're not just cold?

dblref Wed Apr 07, 2004 06:08am

Quote:

Quote:

You ever been to Connecticut? And, by Connecticut, I mean any part of Connecticut not directly touching New York?

If it's so good, why did you decide to attend GWU? Can you say "quality education"?:D

BktBallRef Wed Apr 07, 2004 07:09am

Quote:

Originally posted by WinterWillie
Quote:

What a tormented mind, you'd better seek professional help before you slit your wrists.

Huh? Get over what?

The UConn women's program is the best women's program in the country. The men's program, while very good, has not yet reached that pinnacle. It can be compared to UCLA during LewAlcindor's freshman year. While the varsity won the national championship, they were the second best team on campus, as Alcindor and his teammates routinely beat the upperclassmen.

So you get over it. :)

[Edited by BktBallRef on Apr 8th, 2004 at 08:16 PM]

BBall_Junkie Wed Apr 07, 2004 07:34am

Gentlemen and Ladies,

Please refrain from the personal attacks. Differing opinions are ok and they can be expressed in a mature fashion.

Let's not let this forum, go the way that some other forums have gone.

Now back to civilized discussion, friendly debates/arguments regarding plays, which conferences are better, which coaches are the best/ worst, war stories regarding upcoming AAU ball and the occasional fun poking and ribbing we officials give each other from time to time!

Regards,

Brendan

Mark Dexter Wed Apr 07, 2004 07:39am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Sure they're not just cold?
Yup - few years back the big thing was to burn stuff during spring weekend (yes, CT has the season of spring) temperatures would be pretty warm during most of it.

WinterWillie Wed Apr 07, 2004 07:39am

Despicable

Quote:

The UConn women's program is the best women's program in the country. The men's program, while very good, has not yet reached that pinnacle. It can be compared to UCLA during LewAlcindor's freshman year. While the varsity won the national championship, they were the second best team on campus, as Alcindor and his teammates routinely beat the upperclassmen.

So you get over it. :) [/B]
Two national championships in the past five years and the mens program has not yet reached the pinnacle because <b><i>
you</b></i> don't think so. Well, if <b><i>you</b></i> don't approve of it, maybe we should give back the trophies.

Rich Wed Apr 07, 2004 07:48am

Re: WTF?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Huh? Get over what?

Sure, right now. But it runs in cycles. Bye bye to Taurasi and hello to one of the best recruiting classes ever. In Tennessee. Part of me hopes that these two teams end up in the title game for the next 20 seasons. At least these two schools have always supported women's hoops.

[Edited by BBall_Junkie on Apr 7th, 2004 at 08:52 AM]

Mark Dexter Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:49pm

Re: Re: WTF?

Quote:

Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
At least these two schools have always supported women's hoops.

There's a reason why the only WNBA team not linked to an NBA franchise is in Connecticut . . .

BktBallRef Wed Apr 07, 2004 01:08pm

Re: Despicable

Quote:

Quote:

Two national championships in the past five years and the mens program has not yet reached the pinnacle because <b><i>
you</b></i> don't think so. Well, if <b><i>you</b></i> don't approve of it, maybe we should give back the trophies. [/B]
First, get you numbers straight. This is the second title in 6 seasons. ;)

Second, while UConn had the best team this season, the program is NOT the best basketball men's program in the country. And yes, that's my opinion and it's shared by a great many others.

Third, the program has not reached the elite status that the women's program has.

Fourth, I couldn't care less what they do with their trophies. But they might sell well on eBay. :D

Fifth, you're too easy. ;)

[Edited by BktBallRef on Apr 7th, 2004 at 06:10 PM]

Brad Wed Apr 07, 2004 02:34pm

With all due respect, the language that you used in previous posts was not simply "razzing".

If Brendan hadn't deleted the posts I can assure you that I would have.

- Brad

BBall_Junkie Wed Apr 07, 2004 03:27pm

TH,

I am all for the razzing and I have enjoyed this aspect of the forum for years. That is why, I stated" lets get back to ..... and the occasional fun poking and ribbing we give each other from time to time."

However, the direction the thread was heading was not good (flame war regarding the orginal post) as well as the language used in the name calling (as Brad pointed out) lead me to believe things were personal. That is what we are trying to avoid. I simply deleted the name calling only and left every bit of original posts content. The thread has since gone back to a "friendly argument" regarding basketball conferences and who is better, etc, etc. That's perfect and I enjoy the read myself.

I will be happy to talk about it further with you, if I had misunderstood the intent of your posts. Please email me if you would like.

Regards,

Brendan

rulesmaven Wed Apr 07, 2004 03:31pm

Re: Re: Despicable

"First, get you numbers straight. This is the second title in 6 seasons."

Well, actually, he said "years." You said "seasons." It's within 5 days or so of having happened twice in five years.

That reason that's an interesting point to me is that this is two championships with two entirely different teams, but with only a year or so between groups. I read that virtually every player who has played at Connecticut since 1997 has won a national championship. (There were a couple of transfers, and one four year player, Tony Robertson, who played from 2000-2003.)

I do think it's very impressive what Connecticut has done. I've seen Storrs, of which someone very funny (Jerry West?) said, "they used to call it store until they build a second one." It's a very unlikely place to be a basketball hotbed and I think that's what makes it a fun story that catching a little more national attention than usual, notwithstanding the lopsidedness of of the final. (Which very few here have mentioned, but looked to me to be a brilliantly called game, closing the door on all the negativity in the press.)

Mark Dexter Wed Apr 07, 2004 03:50pm

Re: Re: Re: Despicable

Quote:

Originally posted by rulesmaven

I do think it's very impressive what Connecticut has done. I've seen Storrs, of which someone very funny (Jerry West?) said, "they used to call it store until they build a second one."

That's just about right.

What's always a shock to me is that they overturn cars - there are far more cows in the area surrounding the school. :p

Adam Wed Apr 07, 2004 04:26pm

But you can get in trouble for lighting cows on fire. :)

BBall_Junkie Wed Apr 07, 2004 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
And you can't get in trouble for lighting cars on fire? :confused: :D

Here in Texas, we have a lot of cows and a lot of cars and lighting either of them on fire is illegal. :D

Different values in Conneticut I guess ;)

Adam Wed Apr 07, 2004 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BBall_Junkie
Here in Texas, ....

Woohoo! I think we can safely give out the prize for understatement of the year, even though it's barely April. :D

Mark Dexter Wed Apr 07, 2004 05:51pm

Quote:

In Connecticut? We have an oversupply!

BBall_Junkie Wed Apr 07, 2004 07:23pm

Tony,

Not so much the word (butthead) that was used, I wouldn't normally edit that out, just the way it was used ;) :D

dblref Thu Apr 08, 2004 05:30am

Quote:

Quote:

In Connecticut? We have an oversupply!

You don't have an oversupply of "cows" in Connecticut, you have an oversupply of "bull". :D

Dan_ref Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:07am

Quote:

Quote:

And you can't get in trouble for lighting cars on fire? :confused: :D

Here in Texas, we have a lot of cows and a lot of cars and lighting either of them on fire is illegal. :D

Could be...but I can't for the life of me recall the last time a man was chained to the back of a pickup and dragged through a street in Connecticut.

Can you?

BBall_Junkie Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:22am

Ouch, low blow. :) However, those responsible are awaiting their turn on the gurney where they will receive an injection that ceases their existance on the planet. And, while it takes most states years to carry out this sentence, Texas has an "express lane". Although, we can't control what individuals do, we do address the actions when needed ;)

Dan_ref Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:29am

Quote:

Ouch, low blow. :) However, those responsible are awaiting their turn on the gurney where they will receive an injection that ceases their existance on the planet. And, while it takes most states years to carry out this sentence, Texas has an "express lane". Although, we can't control what individuals do, we do address the actions when needed ;)
Just saying...you know, keeping it real & all that.

BBall_Junkie Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:31am

I hear ya ;)

BktBallRef Thu Apr 08, 2004 01:50pm

Quote:

And, while it takes most states years to carry out this sentence, Texas has an "express lane".
"In Texas, if you kill somebody, we will kill you back! That's our policy!"

Giter done!! :D

BBall_Junkie Thu Apr 08, 2004 02:13pm

Quote:

Quote:

And, while it takes most states years to carry out this sentence, Texas has an "express lane".

LOL!

Ah a fellow "Blue Collar Comedy" fan. However, I believe it was Ron White with the "Express Lane" bit and Larry the Cable Guy with the "Giter Done" phrase...Although not 100% sure. :D

BktBallRef Thu Apr 08, 2004 02:36pm

Yes, it was. But I love both lines! ;)

WinterWillie Fri Apr 09, 2004 07:10am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
Only in Connecticut could a group of men win a National Championship and still not be the best program on campus.
The men's program, while very good, has not yet reached that pinnacle.[/i]
[QUOTE]
[QUOTE]

<i>Jim Calhoun has won two national championships and has been nominated for the Basketball Hall of Fame. How many national championships has Roy Williams won?<i>

BktBallRef Fri Apr 09, 2004 09:30am

Jim Calhoun has done a wonderful job at Connecticut. He has built a tremendous program. But it is not the best program in the country. It also doesn't yet have the history of many of the great programs in college basketball. It may be at some point but it's not there yet. Sorry if that ruffles your feather but that's MHO. I'm sure there are many who share it.

I wouldn't worry about Roy too much. I'm confident he will lead UNC back to the top. I don't think many people will argue that point either. But I knew he wasn't going to do it in one season. BTW, he's 1-0 against UConn since returning to Chapel Hill. ;)

dblref Fri Apr 09, 2004 09:33am

Quote:

Quote:

Fortunately, or unfortunately, Virginia is quickly becoming the same way. I think we rank only slightly behind Texas is pushing 'em through.

WinterWillie Fri Apr 09, 2004 09:46am

Gampel Pavilion

Quote:

Jim Calhoun has done a wonderful job at Connecticut. He has built a tremendous program. But it is not the best program in the country. It also doesn't yet have the history of many of the great programs in college basketball. It may be at some point but it's not there yet. Sorry if that ruffles your feather but that's MHO. I'm sure there are many who share it.

I wouldn't worry about Roy too much. I'm confident he will lead UNC back to the top. I don't think many people will argue that point either. But I knew he wasn't going to do it in one season. BTW, he's 1-0 against UConn since returning to Chapel Hill. ;)

Roy hasn't won at Gampel Pavilion.

Andy Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:21am

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LOL!

Ah a fellow "Blue Collar Comedy" fan. However, I believe it was Ron White with the "Express Lane" bit and Larry the Cable Guy with the "Giter Done" phrase...Although not 100% sure. :D

I was at one of the two shows where they taped the Blue Collar Comedy Tour here in Phoenix. One of the funniest things I've ever seen! You won't see me in any of the audience shots, however. We were waaaaaaay in the back.

BktBallRef Fri Apr 09, 2004 04:11pm

Re: Gampel Pavilion

Quote:

Who cares?

WinterWillie Fri Apr 09, 2004 04:57pm

Gampel Pavilion

Quote:

Quote:

Who cares?

The same people who care about your opinions-no one.
Only stating a fact, not an opinion.

BktBallRef Fri Apr 09, 2004 05:14pm

Dude, you're just babbling. Has Williams taken the Heels to play in Gimp Pavilion yet? No he hasn't, so what's your point. He also hasn't taken them to Pauley Pavilion. So, I repeat, who cares? The fact remains, the National Champions lost to Carolina this year.

I'm done with you. Feel free to have the last word my friend.

ChuckElias Fri Apr 09, 2004 06:27pm

Dan shoulda called this "Another thread down the toilet". :rolleyes:

WinterWillie Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:56am

The last word

Quote:

so what's your point.
The last word. The answer to the question that you have difficulty answering concerning Roy Williams is that he has <i><b>never</i></b> won a national championship.(You must think national championships come easy) What you need to understand is that Jim Calhoun with his two national championships has established himself and his program in the elite status in this country and on the same level as the legendary Dean Smith and is entitled to all the respect that goes with it. End of story.

Furthermore, when the ACC viciously attacked the Big East Conference taking a national championship program team from their conference (shame on the ACC), you had this cavalier attitude about it. You responded by denigrating the Big East for going to another conference to recruit teams to fill the void left by the team(s)leaving. In all honesty, what would you expect them to do? Nevermind, that is a no brainer.

Then, when UConn crushed Georgia Tech (I actually felt bad for GT) in the national championship game instead of congratulating the winner(you make some bizarre comparison of UConn to a team that played almost 40 years ago and that you actually picked UConn in your Yahoo! something)you respond by telling whoever will listen that the best conference in the country is the ACC. Did anyone care? (All we want to know is who is the national champions.) You never once mentioned that one of Georgia Tech key players transferred this year to UConn and practiced with the team all season so he could play next year in the Big East. You also failed to mention how upset Gary Williams was when he lost a prized recruit who is one of the top players in the country, to UConn's recruiting. If as you believe the Big East is not an elite program then why are these players leaving the ACC (or not joining) and going to the Big East? I realize three championships in six years doesn't mean anylot to some people-in particular two championship years in a row-but it sure means something to those players!

Finally, you keep refering to a meaningless game played last January (it must make you feel good) as somehow that will establish UNC's superiority over UConn-how childish. I guess that's what you do if you haven't won a national championship in eleven (11) years. If UConn were to play UNC on a neutral court today(I only mention that because of a blowout win UConn had over UNC at Gampel Pavilion), who do you think would be favored? I know, I know, why do I even ask, I already know your "opinion". The professionals (the people in the know) would favor 2Conn-huge. Those are my points. The last word.

Jurassic Referee Sat Apr 10, 2004 06:11am

I think that UConn sucks too, btw. You got lucky.

mick Sat Apr 10, 2004 07:32am

After a week, I forget who the National champion, for an evening, was. :rolleyes:
mick

BktBallRef Sat Apr 10, 2004 08:26am

I would be remiss if I didn't respond to this latest reply.

Quote:

What you need to understand is that Jim Calhoun with his two national championships has established himself and his program in the elite status in this country and on the same level as the legendary Dean Smith and is entitled to all the respect that goes with it.
You're clueless. :(

No disrespect intended to Jim Calhoun but he isn't yet close to being the coach that Dean Smith was.
He may one day be in the class of Wooden, Smith, Knight, Rupp, and Kryzewski, to name a few but not yet.
Jim Calhoun would tell you the same thing.

There's a lot more to being a truly great coach than just winning two national championships.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Apr 10th, 2004 at 12:56 PM]

Jurassic Referee Sat Apr 10, 2004 09:05am

The TarHeels suck too.

BktBallRef Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:08am

You should hush or I'll have to tattle. Richard Cranium! :D

Jurassic Referee Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:22pm

Just trying to stay busy until Judge shows up again.

TravelinMan Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:59pm

And don't forget Lefty Driesell (Davidson, Maryland), Hank Iba (Oklahoma State), Phog Allen (Kansas), Ray Meyer (DePaul), Eddie Sutton (Creighton, Arkansas, Kentucky, Oklahoma State), Denny Crum (Louisville) and Jim Boeheim (Syracuse).

Some stats:
Most career wins - Dean Smith (879)
Best win % - Rupp (82.2%)
Avg wins per season - Dean Smith (24.4)

I've got Dean Smith as the best of all time, not just statisically, but innovatively, he was the best. Iba, Allen, Rupp and Wooden are also up there for their strategic contibutions to the game.